New mask will NOT stop fogging!! I've tried everything

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JasonGreen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey guys,
Just like the title says, i have a new mask and this thing will just NOT stop fogging! Its the Aqua Lung "Teknika" mask.

Its been at least 12 dives or so now and the last dive was SO bad i had to call off the dive! woudl fog, i'd let water in, swish it around, and then the act of mask clearing itself would cause it to fog even worse! like full of fog!

I have tried everything more than once: cleaning w toothpaste, cleaning w soap, cleaning w dish soap, AquaDrops, Trident "Instructor's Choice" silicone-based non-toxic spray on defogger, as well as two instructors "burned" the inside of the mask w their lighters to supposedly burn off any bad crap or film left by manufacturing. Could this move very well be what is causing it to fog?? Doesn't seem you should have to burn the inside of your mask.

Could the mask just be defective? or damaged by the burning the glass? Or does the mask really need to be "broken in" like some people say? If so, how may freaking crappy dives do i need to go thru here??? Any way to expedite this process? Cuz i am REALLY tired of this!!

PLEASE HELP! I'm about to chuck this mask in the trash and just get a new one.
41tCvUO-7ML._SS500_.jpg

Understand the frustration. My new Atomics Clear View was having the same probs. Used soft scrub several times and that seemed to really help. Also used baby soap and water solution just before the dive. That seemed to also make a big difference. Spit just wasn't getting it.

Could you be exhaling a little bit out of your nose while you are diving?

Go out and buy you some Ajax or Comet and I'm talking about the old fashioned powder form. Put some inside your mask and add only a few drops to make a paste-like material. Then you need to scrub the hell out of it with your finger until you think your finger is going to come off. Then rinse it and do that one more time. I had a friend on a dive trip that just couldn't get his mask to stop fogging either. I did the above and the problem was solved. I made him buy me a new finger!

Reactions: Jax
Could you be exhaling a little bit out of your nose while you are diving?

I might be? But if i am, this never has been a problem with other masks. And mask clearing shoudn't fog the mask up! But granted, those were heavily used rental masks. I just never thought this would be a prob once i got my own mask! Seems counter productive that a mask just cant be right out of the box!

Understand the frustration. My new Atomics Clear View was having the same probs. Used soft scrub several times and that seemed to really help. Also used baby soap and water solution just before the dive. That seemed to also make a big difference. Spit just wasn't getting it.

Thank you. I will try the soft scrub, and/or the Ajax/Comet also suggested. Might also try the baby soap and water solution.

Go out and buy you some Ajax or Comet and I'm talking about the old fashioned powder form. Put some inside your mask and add only a few drops to make a paste-like material. Then you need to scrub the hell out of it with your finger until you think your finger is going to come off. Then rinse it and do that one more time. I had a friend on a dive trip that just couldn't get his mask to stop fogging either. I did the above and the problem was solved. I made him buy me a new finger!

Alright, I'm on it! WIll grab some Comet or Ajax today and scrub the crap out of it. Twice.

Thanks for the help & info!

So what causes this? Is it the silicone? Or a film on the glass from manufacturing?

And is there such a thing as a mask that doesn't fit right so more air leaks in or some sort of technical flaw i might be experiencing? I notice it doesnt fit super snug sometimes and i have to sorta re-suck it to my face.

I have just been second guessing myself thinking maybe i am doing something wrong? But sheesh, its a MASK. They are not that complex. And I never had a problem with any rental masks.

Comet or Ajax is a too abrasive. Do not use it.

Try burning it again, then use a little soft scrub or crest toothpaste (regular not gel) no fancy toothpaste, just plain.

I love the teknika mask, it's my absolute favorite mask out of all of the masks I've ever had.

During the manufacturing of masks, silicone gets on the lens... Burn the lens with an open flame, to make sure the silicone is off... then soft-scrub.

Use a defog like baby shampoo and water mix, or one of the store bought ones if you want before you dive...

Ive always burned mine then scrub with a little baking soda and water and never have any issues....

Comet or Ajax is a too abrasive. Do not use it.

You are probably spot on with most of your posts but you're wrong on this one. I have used this method for years and it works with absolutely no harm at all to the mask or lens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom