New mask for small face

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradsab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've put up with a leaky mask for several years now, and it's time to replace it. There are numerous threads that deal with narrow faces (which I have; 4.5" between temples), but my face is also small all the way 'round (2.25" top of upper lip to center of eyes). I get leaks at the temples and nose even though I have a good dry fit. A consistent problem with regular sized masks is not just the width, but also the height. The skirts come down almost to my upper lip, with a lot of space under my nose inside the mask. With a regulator in, this creats a pinch above my lip, and I get a "lip hickey" that can last a day or more:(.

After reading the various threads, I'd like to try an Atomic Frameless mid size. There are no Atomic dealers around here, so my only option is the Internet. As long as they accept returns, I don't mind the slow process, but I was hoping for some feedback from some of you before I ordered one. Any thoughts?

I re-read my post this evening, and realized I didn't form a clear question. I'm wondering if the mid-sized skirt is much smaller in height so it won't ride so low under my nose? Has anyone compared the regular size with the Frameless mid? Thanks in advance!

I have a narrow face and use the Atomic mid sized mask. It fits better than any other mask I have had. Not sure how my face is in terms of height. And I don't have any measurements... :D

Have you looked at the Oceanic Mini Shadow yet ?? Scored one on eBay (new) at a really good price.

MJ

Mares also makes a mid-sized X-vision mask to consider.

A piece of advice if ordering online. I had ordered a mask for my girlfriend from Leisure pro. The mask ended up not fitting properly. When I tried to get them to take it back (as they claimed they would), they gave me a really hard time about it. So I must recommend not buying this from them (I've since switched to Scubatoys and have had fabulous service since). But more importantly, wherever you buy it from, make it very clear over the phone you want no hassle if you have to return it/ exchange it!!!!

Hope you find one that fits!:coffee:

You may want to try the Ion 3 from Oceanic or the Europa 3 from Aeris. Both of these masks are designed specifically for smaller faces. I believe they just became available or are about to become available.

Are Oceanic & Aeris one and the same? The Ion 3 and the Europa 3 look identical except for the strap.

Next to fit, one thing I'm looking for is field of view. The Ion/Europa look like the lens is curved as opposed to the Atomic & Mares being fairly flat. Maybe it's just the angle of the picture on their websites. If it's curved like it looks, it seems that would offer a wider field of view. Has anyone had the opportunity to compare these? It appears the Atomic Frameless and Mares X would both have greater vertical field downward, though. I'd love to be able to try these on, but of these options, my LDS only sells Mares. It's a 40 minute drive, and I don't want to go there to try one mask.

Are the Mares X Vision and Liquid Skin the same mask except for the skirt?

The Oceanic/Aeris mask (same company) has a flat window. What you are seeing is a bevel joint where two pieces of glass come together at a 90 degree angle. This gives a large front window with a smaller window on each side. With the side windows being glass as opposed to a silicone skirt the view out each side is much clearer. I used a verson of this mask by Tilos for a few years. Not bad, but IMHO, peeking out the side windows was more distracting than it was worth.

I also have a small face and use the Atomic Frameless mid size. Not as dry as desert, but not a swamp either! The other week my LDS owner chucked a ScubaPro Spectra at me to try. Not specifically a 'mid size' but, in the pool at least, was as dry or drier than the Atomic. And it came with a black skirt as well!! :14:

The point at which the lenses meet on the ION 3/Europa 3 is a bit different than most similar designs (we've had masks in the line previously similar to the one mentioned). The "joint" produced quite a gap - similar to what you see looking through the corner of a fish tank. This latest generation offers a virtually seamless view. It is a smaller skirt all around, not just in width.

I actually had a chance to see the Ion 3 which just came in to my LDS today. Doug is right, the view is quite different from the older versions (my apologies for not noticing before Doug!!). It is quite small in overall dimensions. It passed the 'stick to my face with just an inhale' test quite nicely. I have not had a chance to try it out in the water yet, but I just might next week!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom