New mask and toothpaste.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always thought toothpaste and soft-scrub are slightly abrasive. If you use these on a mask, won't they leave micro scratches and if used enough, cause a "clouding" on the lens due to scratching? I would sure never use toothpaste on a camera lens for cleaning. Maybe using TP once to clean the coating off the new mask is OK, but I don't think repeated use would be good.

My $0.02 Barracuda2

and was concerned when some toothpaste got up inder the skirt/lens and stayed white when I rinsed it. No worries, after a couple of dives, it was gone. Otherwise, the toothpaste worked great for me...just a little spit pre-dive and no fogging.

Barracuda2 once bubbled...
I always thought toothpaste and soft-scrub are slightly abrasive.
They are... VERY slightly abrasive... enough to act more as a polishing compound, which is exactly what you want to do.
I've never known anyone have a problem with clouding, even after years of repeated cleanings.

I would though stay away from some of the gritty toothpastes on the market, have used the gell ones with success though.

Barracuda2 once bubbled...
I always thought toothpaste and soft-scrub are slightly abrasive. If you use these on a mask, won't they leave micro scratches and if used enough, cause a "clouding" on the lens due to scratching?

...I don't think repeated use would be good.

#1 - yes toothpaste is slightly abrasive. But the protective film on masks is somewhat soft, while the glass is extremely hard. The toothpaste will scratch off the film, but won't affect the glass.

#2 - you only have to use toothpaste once, when you first get the mask, to remove the film. After that, no need for it, so you don't have to worry about "repeated use." I imagine you'd have to rub the glass thousands and thousands of times with paste before you saw any signs of scratching.

C.

SOUTH DEVON once bubbled...
Does it matter what flavour toothpaste you use ?
Seriously though I'm surprised they never tell you this when you buy a mask !!!!!

lol, aquafresh of course

cleans the lens and gives it a minty-fresh taste

I prefer crest...the diatoms are larger and therefore do a more effective job of getting that protective film off. giggle...sorry it's the science geek in me coming out!

Back
Top Bottom