New mask and toothpaste.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

atlas750

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Got a new Mares X-Vision. Do I have to clean it with toothpaste prior to using it?. Sorry for the dumb question.

Masks have a protective film over the glass so it doesn't get all sctached up when they are making it. Take some toothpaste and a little water and rub it on wiht your finger, inside and out. You know you have it all off when your finger 'squeeks' on the glass when you rub it. If you don't do this your mask will fog even if you use spit or defog on it.

:) I LOVE MY NEW X-VISION!!! I used to use a Mares Vedra... supposedly one of the better low-volume masks out there... had almost the same field of vision as the X-vision... although I have noticed the X-vision gives you this "face stuck up against a window" feeling. That's probably why it feels like you get a much wider field of view compared to other masks.

Anyway, I was wondering if I could use glass cleaner to clean the lenses of my mask after diving? Are mask lenses made of glass or polycarbonate? Would glass cleaner damage them or their coatings in anyway? Thanks!

Most quality masks use a tempered glass lens and silicone skirts. There are some cheaper masks around with acrylic skirts and in some cases polycarbonate lens.

I would not be worried about using glass cleaner on a tempered glass lens obviously, but I would be a little nervous about the potential effects on the silicone skirt. Also, from a practical standpoint, your eye ends up being an inch away from the window and residual chemicals and fumes could be a potential eye irratant. I'd stick with just cleaning it with water.

clean the mask as others have stated with toothpaste and be sure to rinse it out good .
I clean my every few dives just to be sure !!!

I don't like to use toothpaste on my mask lens. I use SeaBuff. Just a few drops and your new mask is ready to go. :tree: Bob

Does it matter what flavour toothpaste you use ?
Seriously though I'm surprised they never tell you this when you buy a mask !!!!!

SOUTH DEVON once bubbled...
Does it matter what flavour toothpaste you use ?
Seriously though I'm surprised they never tell you this when you buy a mask !!!!!
Try to stay with a traditional paste, as opposed to a gel.
I know, it's getting hard to find anything now that isn't a gel or gel/paste mixture.

I also like to use Soft-Scrub about once every 3 months.

Gotta say that the X-vision was the hardest of any of my masks to get the factory film off. It took a LOT of work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom