New Mac OS X Dive App

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, it is what I am currently using. I thought I would check out this other one just out of curiosity, but I can't even run it. Oh well :)

I actually have a Leopard install disc sitting here - but, like I said, I see no compelling reason to install it and deal with the resulting clean up, configuring my computers, etc. etc. Not gonna do it just to try some dive app, that's for sure :)

That's pretty slack. :) For what it's worth, I dd the upgrade from Tiger -> Leopard on my old MBP, and it went smoothly, not one problem.

Sorry I'm not being much help, I just don't really have the time to spend supporting tiger.. I've posted about it previously in this thread.

I gave up trying to keep up with the latest and greatest crap. At some point, I decided that my computer is no longer a hobby, it's just a tool. Given that I see absolutely nothing in Leopard that makes me think, "oh man, gotta have THAT!" - the thought of installing it on one of my real machines and then making sure that everything works with my PostgreSQL database, various Apache mods, ImageMagik, PHP, Tomcat, and other UNIX-specific crap that I'm using - in addition to stuff like creative suite, office, etc. etc. - just makes me thing "uh, god, I don't want to get into all that". I'm not a big believer in the "click here to install and all will work fine" model. I've never seen it work perfectly in the (almost) 20 years I've been running UNIX on Macs. I don't think it will happen if I try to install Leopard either :)

I do have Leopard - I got it for free. Just not putting it on a real machine. I put it on the 500mhz G4 Cube in my guestroom. Dicked around with it for a little while. Confirms my belief that it's not worth installing on my other stuff :)

Anyway - it seems odd to me that something like a dive log app would actually require "Leopard only" features (given that your competitors don't). Hell, I doubt most any other app would either. If "supporting tiger" means simply not using Leopard only features - seems like it would be worth doing. Obviously its your app - you're going to do what you want with it. But since you posted here, I gotta figure you're looking for some feedback - so I just thought I would give you some :)

Good luck on your stuff :)

Cheers!
nd

I do have Leopard - I got it for free. Just not putting it on a real machine. I put it on the 500mhz G4 Cube in my guestroom. Dicked around with it for a little while. Confirms my belief that it's not worth installing on my other stuff :)

I know what you mean re: all of the mods, I'd bet there were a few issues with some of them.. you never know though. I have CS/Office etc, they both moved over fine. I would be more worried about the apache mods, PHP etc. This is an entire other conversation, however.. :) I haven't done any research to see whether others have had any success/failures with them.

I know you think it's "just a dive app", but the thing with Leopard is that there really are a lot of great new systems/APIs under the hood that make development easier/faster/better. Sure, you may look at the screenshots and think that there's nothing particularly special there, but that's exactly what you're seeing when you look at Leopard itself. Behind the scenes is another story.

MacDive isn't the only Leopard-only app, and more and more are going that way.

1.5.0 is out - you'll need to download it fresh (again). Apologies for the inconvenience.

What's new in 1.5?

Never-mind, I just read the news page!

Auto-completion uh? :D

Wiz

Never-mind, I just read the news page!

Auto-completion uh? :D

Wiz

Yep, I'd been promising you for ages..

Also you can mouse-over the graph to get the values for depth/time/pressure at that point. Some bug fixes. UI changed a bit to try and make it look a bit nicer. Nothing much overly exciting.. just a few little things here and there.

You can override the name given to Diver (in preferences) when importing from a computer, also. Just a convenience thing.

I like what I see so far... Keep it up! I like the mouse-over too.

I'm sure I will bite the Leopard "apple" one day - but I'm not real enthused about it. I'm going to be putting it on the wife's laptop soon - but only because I need to wipe it and send it in for repair anyway - so it's a good time to upgrade the OS.

On my Powerbook G4 - I just don't see it any time soon (;

Hi all,
Anyone else seeing weird horizons in the dive graph with version 1.50?
AJ

Email me a screenshot at macdive@thedoorisajar.org. Also attach your data file if you can -

~/Library/Application Support/MacDive/MacDive.sqlite

Let me know what kind of computer you are using etc.

edit: if you send me your data file, then you don't need to worry about the screenshot. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom