New Lp 108 Disk Burst 1st Over Fill 3800 Psi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems to me that technical divers using over filled tanks might be on balance safer because they can carry more air without more weight or equipment. That argument would seem less valid though for recreational divers who generally will only have their bottom time cut and can surface when they care to do so. Also the few tec divers I know are quite careful about equipment maintenance. I prefer a slight underfill.

Brian Gilpin:
I prefer a slight underfill.

LOL, that is the funniest thing I've read in along time. Someone who thinks they are safer because they got a hotfill.

Perhaps you would be safest without any fill at all.

LUBOLD8431:
IF you overfill the Faber 112's to 3500, and you have doubles, you would have 296 cu ft of gas. Thats 148 cu ft per cylinder. FABER doesnt make a 148 cu ft tank. SO, I couldnt just go out and buy a bigger tank...

Pressed Steel manufactures E8-149s. Buy two of those.

Civilian diving has more accidents than all military services combined foreign and domestic. Over filling tanks? DOT pulls things out of the air? What are you guys thinking?! They are rated for a reason. Filling hot and cooling down is one thing but changing burst discs for more pressure because"they do it in Europe" answer and for a few breaths more. Another reason why rebreathers, mixed gas diving, repair should be left to well trained individuals not the ones here suggesting "modifying" something that is nothing less than a bomb when filled incorrectly. DOT does this rating for a reason. After time testing the variables of the tank untill it finds a safe median. We all over do it sometimes but this is blatent disregard of COMMON SENSE! No worries...I ain't diving with ya!

DA Aquamaster:
I also agree the monkey who filled the tank should eb spanked. Overfilling is clearly against the law and can cause the shop large proplems with the DOT if they are caught.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but DOT regulations don't apply to the private use of my tanks. I'm not saying you should do it, but I didn't think it was illegal.

chrpai:
LOL, that is the funniest thing I've read in along time. Someone who thinks they are safer because they got a hotfill.

Huh?! Who said they feel safer with a hotfill?

FredT:
By current USA DOT rules the burst disk rating has to be at hydro test pressure with a MINUS 10% tolerance.

In the US a "normal" 2400 psi tank hydros at 5/3s pressure, or 4000 psi unless otherwise marked in the tank roll mark. Given a "standard test pressure the burst disk should fail at between 3600 psi and 4000 psi. If the tank has a different test pressure in the roll mark that is the upper end of the burst disk range.

The "proper" response is to spank the fill station operator for overfilling.

FT

hopeing to learn something here ... long long time ago i bought a healthways 72cf tank with a j valve it was a 2250# tank with what i thought was a burst disk set at 10% over or just shy of 2500. after i think 5 yr or first hydero you couldnt fill to 2250 any more. it seams that there was efnough discussion in the ow class about keeping tabs on the 5 lb per degree changes reach ing blow preaure sitting in the sun in hot sand. thier solution was to keep in shade or if not available to sit in water to keep cool. am i mis remembering things??? i qualled in the late 60's if that helps. i learned it accepted it and followed the safety practice from that time on. i never gave it any thiought again till recently when i got a 3200 hot fill on my lp steel. the lds told me that they were set above 3500 however i never knoew why untill this post.

KWS

Back
Top Bottom