New light...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just_Me

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, something followed me home today from my LDS. A Finn Sub short 1400 smart. Every review I can find is a good one so I decided to try this out. I am diving Saturday and will keep y'all posted on what I find.

Have any of y'all tried one of these out yet?

My buddy on GUEF have that light . It is small nice light , looks good but it is not very bright (optics), special with little murky water or daylight.

If you want confortable use Goodman you have to switch round stick under Goodman handle with wider and rectangular also it is little too high . Lamp want to tilt even you can adjust the center of gravity.

Try it before buy .

My buddy on GUEF have that light . It is small nice light , looks good but it is not very bright (optics), special with little murky water or daylight.

If you want confortable use Goodman you have to switch round stick under Goodman handle with wider and rectangular also it is little too high . Lamp want to tilt even you can adjust the center of gravity.

Try it before buy .

A bit late now he's already bought it.

To the OP, looks like a nice light and interested in your impressions. Cheers.

Well it's all charged up and packed up and headed to the lake in the am. I have played with the goodman handle a bit and found what I believe to be the best setting so far for me.

I will keep y'all posted.

Ok, as promised, I have my thoughts for my first day with this light. From the ramp at jocasse Saturday morning I spent a bunch of time enjoying a rather low traffic day at the lake. Vis was descent with the average particulate level in the water for this lake. I started off hanging a hard right at the bones family and heading down to about 110' and was very surprised at how well the 100 and 700 lumen settings performed. I was kind of worried about the high setting thinking that I would get too much reflection, oddly enough this was not the case. At 100' the 1400 lumen setting was very functional and not at all too much for the environment.

I spent most of the dive with the light on and actually liked the hard goodman handle that came with he light. I didn't find the angle of light throw to be off at all. It is a little taller than the soft handle version however the soft handle does not come in a size large enough to fit my hands. With that said I did not find the height to be a problem in any way.

All in over 3 dives and 2 good snack filled surface intervals I spent more than 1.5 hours swimming the cove and playing with this light. I spent more time looking under rocks and things than I ever had here. I like the control ring and size of the light. I will keep this open for future impressions and monitoring the battery life as time goes on.

I will say at this point that I am very happy with this light. The price seems a little high until I compared this with a canister light. For longer dives I so know that the canister "long" version is available and the company sells the can and cord as an accessory to be able to use the long or short version as you need it to. I don't currently spend time in overhead environments so the short version is plenty for me.

Back
Top Bottom