New light on DealExtreme

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hatul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The light arrived today. The case looks like a copy of the LED Lenser D14, a 4AA light, though it's a little rounder and nicer with ridges to make holding and unscrewing the head more comfortable. More importantly it's noticeably bighter than both the Lenser and the 220 Dorcy. However the Dorcy does appear more robust with an all aluminum body, while the Pop-Lite F6 has a plastic body, which could crack, and only one O ring.

The Pop-Lite website lists the LED of this light as Cree Q5 and not Q3 as on dealextreme.com

Because of the plain plastic body and single O ring I would not recommend it for cave diving, except as a spare backup light. It should be fine as a recreational dive light.

The package did come with a spare O ring and a charger for the 18650 cell. The cell sits in a battery holder which is inserted into the light.

After diving with it I'll give a further report.

Adam

Took the light on a Deadman Reef solo dive in Laguna and it survived fine. I can't say much about the beam because it was a midday dive in bright light, but there was no leakage or mechanical problem.

Adam

Close, but not the same. The one I referenced uses a Li-Ion 18650 battery and comes with a charger and battery holder. They look like they are made by the same company or a close copy.

I also have the 4 AA version made by Coast and called the D14 Lenser.

I think these are all nice lights for recreational diving and a bargain for what you get.

Adam

OK I used the light on my second dive to Deadman Reef, this time a buddy dive. It gave me a chance to compare the light to his UK C4 LED and it's noticeably brighter than the UK light. The only caveat to my assessment is I did not know the state of his batteries. I'm using freshly charged battery of course. But that is an issue for those who reuse alkaline batteries.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom