New life for an old MK3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
A friend of mine gave me this old Scubapro MK3/108 reg.
It's probably from the mid to late 60's, thin yolk, 2 LP ports & one HP port.
The thing has quite a history. First of all it was never serviced once in it's entire lifetime.
The guy who gave it to me was primarily a freedive spearo. He only used the reg occasionally to go deep in Florida to shoot groupers and also to dive in Southern California for scallops and occasionally lobsters. He actually could care less about scuba or the gear.
He only used it with one single second stage, no octo or SPG. When it got hard to breath he came up. It was about as simple as that.
He actually bent himself while using this reg. He was diving in Florida and went to 200 feet on a single AL 80, no SPG, on air. He was doing his stops according to navy tables and ran out of air somewhere in the 50 foot range and had to do a free ascent and as such blew off a bunch of deco, (yeah I know, genius!). The result was within a few minutes his shoulder blew up with gas under the skin (subcutaneous embolism) and looked like somebody filled his skin with air. After that his shoulder hurt like hell in the joint and since then he's had 5 surgeries to try and fix the damage. He never did go to a chamber. That was probably 20 years ago
I'm not sticking up for the guy and I certainly don't approve of his cowboy diving but those are the facts.
The point is, that simple little MK3 went to 200 feet and worked fine.

When I got it it was nasty, corroded, frozen up, it had never even been rinsed one time after he used it in salt water!
I very carefully took it apart and the chrome was so bad and pitted that I decided to just strip it off and try polish out the brass. So far I have the 1st stage done and I've almost got the yolk done.
Next I'm going to work on the diaphram cover and the clamp rings. I don't know what I'm going to do with the 2nd stage body yet, if I'm going to just clean it up or strip off the chrome and polish it.
After all that I'm going to soak it and rebuild it. It's about the dirt simplest reg internally I've ever seen.
I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner. I was thinking of getting one of those $79 ones at Harbor Freight but I'm wondering if CLR would work. It's supposed to disolve salts, scale, rust, corrosion, etc.
Can anybody advise on CLR to soak reg parts?

Here are a few photos of my progress so far:
The pics of the second stage are obviously before shots. Stay tuned, when I am done they will be beautiful!
The first stage used to look like the 2nd stage parts you see.

Attachments

• 206.jpg
    206.jpg
    403.3 KB · Views: 165
  • 205.jpg
    205.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 207.jpg
    207.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 209.jpg
    209.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 137
Beautiful.

Who will be the first to figure out how to seal polished brass?

Hot vinegar and a brass brush works best for cleaning
crud.

The main reason for an ultrasonic is to be able to use
non corrosives, and let the vibrations do the business.

When I'm not in a hurry and want to strip some chrome from crevices I half submerge the part in vinegar in a sealed container, turning the part over every couple of days, and the infused air and condensation does
the business.

Very good luck.

Leave the serial number till last.

Gotta gobay.

I'm just going to leave it open so it can breathe. It might tarnish a bit but it will have that "vintage" antique look. I will polish it up quickly by hand with a little Brasso periodically like an old tea pot.

Or a magic regulantorn.

I can’t remember the model names but were these the same model second stage? These were circa 1964. Actually, these had pretty terrible performance even by the low standards of the day.

Attachments

• mid-60s Scubapro.JPG
    mid-60s Scubapro.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 242
These appear to be SP 108 "High Performance" seconds. Simple downstream regs, but their performance should be on par with their more modern descendants such as the R190, 290, 390, and other brands too. Not the greatest breathing regs on earth, but livable.

ZKY: great job you did on the first! Can't wait to see the 2nd.

These appear to be SP 108 "High Performance" seconds. Simple downstream regs, but their performance should be on par with their more modern descendants such as the R190, 290, 390, and other brands too. Not the greatest breathing regs on earth, but livable...

Your post got me curious enough to look it up. The 1964 catalog describes them as Scubapro Regulator Mark I (#7100) and Mark II (#7105) — pages attached. Are these the same? I remember deciding to scrap them for brass rather than sell them around 1972 because of performance issues. Nobody except EDU had breathing machines them but the side-by-side test with a Conshelf XI convinced me it was better off recycled.

Attachments

• ScubaPro MkI.jpg
    ScubaPro MkI.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 149
  • ScubaPro MkII.jpg
    ScubaPro MkII.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 143
Hey, you got me curious too, so I downloaded all the SP catalogs from here. I'm old, but not that old to speak with any kind of authority about things that dated back to the early 60's: I was only a boy then. :D

Anyway, here's what I found:
  • Up to '67: there was only 1 second stage packaged together with the first stages, and the packages were called by the first stage name. The second stage looked A LOT like what's known now as the "108"
  • In 1970, the "Adjustable" appeared, and was christianed "109", which is the catalog number.
  • Only in '77, along with the appearance of the Pilot, the "Second Stage Downstream" got its now-official name of "108" (cat. no.)
  • Finally, in '80, each package got a "fully qualified" name, i.e.: "MK III AND 108 REGULATOR"
Another thing: there are 2 kinds of 108's: one without the orifice and one with. Whether there's an impact on performance I don't know.

Maybe an elderly guru can confirm the performance problem you mention is from the 1st stage, or from some grossly mis-aligned units?

By the way, and sorry for a slight hijack: isn't this a beautiful BP/W? It's from the '76 catalog:

Scubapro-BP-W-76.jpg

Wow!

That pack and wing looks surprisingly modern.
And to think it got buried away when the poodle jacket came along. I guess they thought it was a bad idea.
Just look around today and what do you see?

Back
Top Bottom