New Latch Fix For GoPro, Unruly Bear Trap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the idea of the a beefed up latch. I have had two replacement latches sent to me from GoPro so far. One for my wristmount and one for my standard housing. They have been good about replacing the broken ones, but I use it often and I would rather have one that I didn't need to replace at all.
I guess I'm not too concerned about the 35$ price tag. I can't seem to help myself with this gadget, it has me spending dollars on it all the time. Including the new GoPro housing that I ordered last week. We'll see how it compares to my aftermarket flat lenses.

I like the idea of the a beefed up latch. I have had two replacement latches sent to me from GoPro so far. One for my wristmount and one for my standard housing. They have been good about replacing the broken ones, but I use it often and I would rather have one that I didn't need to replace at all.
I guess I'm not too concerned about the 35$ price tag. I can't seem to help myself with this gadget, it has me spending dollars on it all the time. Including the new GoPro housing that I ordered last week. We'll see how it compares to my aftermarket flat lenses.

I agree, If I can spend 450 on a camera w/accessories, I think i'm okay with getting a 35 dollar latch.. Plus it looks a little better than a rubber band! I'm lookin forward to seein the new videos with the gopro dive housing. I picked up a backscatter lens last month, so i'm not ready to pull the trigger on gopro's version until i see some comparisons. Thanks for the posts everybody.

FYI, I did buy the BearTrap latch from Unruly as I know I will regret not spending the extra ca$h if I loose a GoPro and footage due to a malfunction. They are temporarily on delayed shipping as per this message I received after my purchase:

"We now have HEADGEAR, HEADCASE PRO, Round and Square lens rings in stock. We're just waiting for lens caps and BEARTRAPs to arrive. The injection molds were build incorrectly and it takes 7-10 days to turn around changes. :(

To avoid processing hundreds of orders twice, we've been waiting for these two items to arrive to fulfill the orders that include them. If your order is just a HEADCASE PRO or HEADGEAR, we will be shipping this week.

We expect to ship orders with lens rings in just over a week, once we receive the lens caps.

If you ordered a BEARTRAP it will likely ship within 2 weeks from now. We're crossing our fingers all goes smoothly.

Thanks for your patience as we dial in these painful manufacturing issues!

/CLARK/
UNRULY"

Once I test it out I will post my thoughts here in this thread and let you know ! I am optimistic and hope this will solve the well known spontaneous unlatching of the GoPro upon decompression !

Any update on the bear trap? I haven't been able to get a response from the company. Looking forward to seeing the pics, I'm buying one too as soon as it says all orders will be shipping.

Anyone know if the GoPro Dive Housing has the same issue as the regular housings, requiring a rubber band?

I just can't see the need to reinforce the original latch, it doesn't feel like it will pop open while diving.. Maybe if you are surfing, kite surfing or any other more "active" sports..

I just can't see the need to reinforce the original latch, it doesn't feel like it will pop open while diving.. Maybe if you are surfing, kite surfing or any other more "active" sports..

I thought the same but there are several posts on here from people who have had them open up on them.

Now that I read them, it makes sense, however, using the GoPro dive housing on two dives (60 feet) and free diving (~30 feet), I haven't noticed the effect of the pressure on the back port making the latch loose. I believe it's the same latch as on the original housing.

Just to be sure, I guess I will start putting a rubber band around it..

Anyone know if the GoPro Dive Housing has the same issue as the regular housings, requiring a rubber band?
Same basic design. Same housing shell and latch just with a different lens on the front. So the answer would be yes, just with the rubber band running across the top and down the sides rather than front to back due to the width of the new lens system obscuring the front of the housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom