New ICON Compressor from Coltri

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SurfLung

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
New ICON Compressor from Coltri
- I get the Coltri newsletter in Italian so I usually just look at the pictures. This time it showed a new compressor monoblock that is going into the ICON compressors, "formerly MCH-6". Ooh that part intrigued me... They're replacing the MCH-6? I better read on. So I clicked the link, went to the website, then changed to English, and got to read up on this exciting new compressor for sport divers!
Icon02.jpg

- This front side looks very similar to the MCH-6 and I put it here so you'll recognize that aspect of it.
Icon01.jpg

On the back side you can pick out the upgrades, changes, improvements, etc.

First is the new compressor monoblock (crankcase). It's die cast and precision machined from aluminum for lightness and strength. It features improved oil handling (filling and draining), larger oil reservoir, a dipstick, and a oil level viewing window. This new monoblock is lighter than the old MCH-6 crankcase. And combined with a new lighter weight motor, the new ICON weighs only 83 lbs.
03-Nuovo-monoblocco-MCH-6.jpg

They also added a new filter/condenser tower stabilizing bracket that helps reduce vibration and adds strength.
06-Staffe-Inox.jpg

Coltri also has a new synthetic ST-755 compressor oil that's up to 8x longer lasting. With its cleaning power, its superior oxidation resistance and extraordinary thermal stability will keep the compressor parts cleaner.

Here's a link for more info: Coltri News

Thank you. Appreciated very much.

All of that and they still didn't give it a better size filter? Unfortunate, but I guess some improvement is better than none. (yes I'm still happy with mine, but I do wish I had a filter that lasted much longer than it does).

This is exciting, best to all.

We have a filter repacking morning where I live, the music is playing, liquid free flowing
line up four or six filters and pack and sing and dance the morning away, eases the pain

Hi
Is the filter size the same as the old mch6? Just about to order a new one and my usual place isn't stocking the old filters it seems. All I could find is sites selling the ICON mch6 filter.

You can go to the Coltri website and download the parts manuals to compare the parts numbers and see if they are the same. I have a 1980 MCH6 and it fits the pre-pack filters from
Filtertechs and they fit and function perfectly. But when I ordered Coltri brand MCH6 filters they fit way too tight in my 1980 MCH6 and I had to go back to Filtertechs. The new Icon LOOKs like it uses the same filters but you may have to do some trial and error to find what works best for you.

I have a fairly new model of the mch6. From what i can see the parts number is the same so I've ordered the filter. I'll post on here, if it works, for the benefit of the community.👍

Here's a video of my 1980's Aerotecnica Coltri MCH-6 compressor. This little bugger needed me to re-build the internals of the moisture condenser and put new diaphragm/fuel pump into the Briggs and Stratton engine. Aside from other cleanup and adding a PMV, it was in excellent running condition. The condenser now squeezes a BUNCH of moisture and oil out before the air gets to the filter media tube... And the filters last a good respectable number of fills. The FilterTechs (Lawrence Factor) filters are easy to check... Open the top before filling tanks and the filter pops up for easy checking. If the blue strip has started to change, I just replace with a fresh filter and proceed to fill my tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom