New HID light recs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dear fellow divers,

I want to buy the best primary HID light for Great Lakes wreck diving. I am certainly not a tech diver but I have a fair amount of rec diving experience. Money is really not a factor- I'm OK with dropping a g-note or more on a light. I got the "green" light from my sympathetic wife. My budget is for a dive light that I will be satisified with for many years. I currently use a pistol-grip halogen 50 W and I seriously want an upgrade!

I've reviewed the forum's posts and the Salvo 21 W HID seems to be popular. Should I go with the Rebel or Havoc HIDs? I understand LEDs may be the future, but I'm interested in what is best today. Any recommendations on where to purchase the light? My local dive shop only has a few models that have been in the store for over a year. Thank you in advance.

Dave T

I personally like the split ballast version the best; having the entire ballast in the head makes it just to big, it also looks... funny. If money isn't an issue why not get the 35W HID?

Try to get a new one though; Salvo finally came out with an actual dry lid, so if your cord gets cut some how water wont get to the battery.

I got to see a couple of the new Salvo's a month or so ago...nice design.

I got a flier in the mail today for the new Nightrider lights. They have some interesting ones as well.

35w!? He doesn't need to fry eggs
21w is surely plenty light enough, right?
I prefer HID at the moment as you can focus it and make a laserbeam, or flood it out. Depends on what you want it for; signalling, lighting or willy waving.
If you want to willy wave then get a 50w and let everyone know what a small penis you have.
I have a 10w 6degree green force head on a flexi2 battery pack and enjoy using it.

You can't really go wrong with salvo, but the new halcyon lights are getting a pretty big wrap at the moment. Both brands will last the distance.

I like green force as they're modular... so you can buy a flexi2 battery system and attach any head you want, so get a 10w and then in a years time get any other head you want.

Horses for courses

Frying eggs is what the 50W HID is for.

Since you got permission from the wife you should take advantage of this situation and get an SS with the 200W HMI "death ray" mounted on it.

I can say I have used Salvo's customer service, on my 10 watt, and their service is top notch. I have the Havoc 21 watt and am very happy with it. My friend has a home built 25 watt LED that rocks, but they are not for sale. LED is the future even though they use slightly more power, their ability to take bumps and drops far out weights any benefits a HID has.

If you want the best that money can buy, you should try the HID 200 from metalsub. One of the most powerfull and rugged canister light on the market.

If you want the best that money can buy, you should try the HID 200 from metalsub. One of the most powerfull and rugged canister light on the market.

Hey fletcher,

Whats the cost of that 50watt monster?

For a little less light but a LOT less cost, what about the 24 watt HID Darkbuster for $380.00 on Scubatoys?

I dive the low vis capital called Lake Erie, and it really lights up the muck. Like a freakin' light sabre.

If I were you Dave, I'd check out the 24W Darkbuster HID before dropping over a grand or two or three: Edge Brightstar HID Underwater Dive Light, Edge Lighting

The 24W darkbuster may be good enough for what he needs, but he asked what the best was now didn't he.

I have a 35W HID I purchased as an upgrade to the 50W halogen I was using. I paid just over what the OP mentions and while I'm pissed it took that to get here I am so very impressed with the volume and penetration of the light. It’s like a new world in the lakes around here. Our whole crew has this light and its like being on a city street on our dives.

This is what I purchased:
Benda kompresory - HID Speleo 35 W

But from what I understand ballasts and bulbs are only produced by one or two manufacturers. Maybe someone can confirm.

Back
Top Bottom