new Halcyon - my impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fotta

Reaction score
As suggested, here are my impressions of the first use of my new Halcyon 27# wing with SS BP and single AL80, in a local dive shop's pool.

I was gearing up and the instructor on duty asked me where my weight belt was. I replied that I first wanted to try the rig without a weight belt. He shrugged but told me where the spares were kept 'just in case'. I strapped my tank on easily - the SS buckles are very nice though the straps are somewhat stiff and not easy to adjust but the 'con' to this is that they did not slide backwards through the adjustor and stayed-put.

I put the rig in the pool then jumped in and put it on. Much easier than I thought it would be considering the shoulder harnesses are fixed - not even an issue actually. Submerged and lo and behold, no weight belt was needed. I had on a shorty, am about 5'10" and weigh about 170 lbs. Down I went, without any problems. I found the rig very easy to control even for a neophyte such as myself. I found the bottom pull dump somewhat strange to operate but that was a function of my inexperience I think rather than any fault with the Halcyon rig. I was merely not used to a bottom mounted dump and thus not familiar with how to make it "work" properly. The shoulder inflator/dump worked very well and I appreciated the fact that it was bungeed in the perfect spot and I never had to grope for it. I had no problems hovering or swimming around in any orientation that I chose.

I am happy to report that the entire unit was wonderfully transparent to me in terms of bulk. It felt like I was wearing a very small and light backpack. Even though the straps (look and) feel very hard when handled, the rig was extremely comfortable - no chafing, no hard spots and nothing wobbling around.

This is my first BC and my experience is limited to school BCs which were somewhat confining in retrospect. If I could compare these things to everyday clothing, using the jacket style was like wearing a coat whereas the Halcyon was like wearing a t-shirt.

In short, I am very happy with my new Halcyon and can understand why people rave about them. Bear in mind that this is my opinion and that it is based on limited experience with other systems.

I am glad you like the new rig. The dumping gets easier with practice, stay with it.

Chad

Just tried my 36# wing last week and loved it, glad you’re enjoying yours also.

But, based on your description you’re diving wet with no ditchable weight; for whatever it’s worth I consider that dangerous and wouldn’t do it. If without weights, at the end of your dive (near empty tank), you can achieve neutral buoyancy, you are negatively buoyant by the swing weight of your tank at the start of the dive. If you had a bladder failure (not yours the one connected to the back plate:D ), you could not ditch weight at the surface to become positive and would either have to ditch the whole rig or work to stay on the surface.

I suspect that this is why they make aluminum back plates.

Mike

P.S.

The only time I would ever consider ditching weights is at the surface. If you cannot swim to the surface in a controlled manner with all weights in the event of a bladder failure, your carrying too much weight.

MikeS once bubbled...
...But, based on your description you’re diving wet with no ditchable weight; for whatever it’s worth I consider that dangerous and wouldn’t do it...

Your point is well taken, BUT...

He was wearing a 3mm shorty in a pool.
He's located in Toronto, so will "probably" wear more than a 3mm shorty in the Great Lakes. He'll probably have ditchable weight to offset the wetsuit.:)

MikeS - a good point about the danger-aspect. I didn't actually try to swim to the surface with the bladder empty. I should have tested this. But, it did not feel like I was dangerously negative.

However as Jarhead says, in 'real' life I'll have more flotation. In fact the plate-thing is something that I discussed with my LDS and they steered me to the SS plate since they are of the opinion that the stainless steel plate is prefereable up here due to the need for more exposure protection. The Great Lakes are very COLD even in the heat of the summer I can't imagine going in without a full suit. I made the mistake of windsurfing on Lake Ontario (once!) without a suit and when I fell in (which I do a lot) it was so cold that I quickly started to lose feeling in my extremities.

Jarhead once bubbled...
He'll probably have ditchable weight to offset the wetsuit.:)

That’s good, if so he’ll “probably” be O.K.:D

Moreover, he “probably” knew that you should have enough ditchable weight to be positively buoyant at the surface with a bladder failure.:D

But just in case he hadn’t thought about it, or if a new diver reading the post hadn’t, I thought it was “probably” a good idea to mention it. This issue was not covered, at least in my OW class, “probably” because everyone in the class was wearing a BC and mega-weighted.:D

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom