New Halcyon Infinity - Can I Use...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The whole point of a single piece harness strap system is to give a better fit than the 'modular' style harnesses.

Yes, the padded, quick release style harnesses feel comfy in the store, but unless they fit you perfectly, you will definitely get a better fit out of a single piece of webbing. The infinity goes even further as its easily adjusted and comes with the deluxe padding. Did you not get the padding with your infinity?? It should come with it.

If you dive dry, then then all this isnt as big a deal, but in a wetsuit, it makes a huge issue.

Yes got the padding and I am considering removing the BP padding and replace it with just the Storage Pak. The one included as part of the padding has a smaller opening plus with the padding it makes for a lot of bulk when trying to put an SMB in it.

I do dive with a DS, so how does this change the factor - are you talking about the padding?

The Infinity is a great unit to don while in water. Throw that mutha into the water and do an in-water don. Then do an in-water doff after you're done.

No, they did not "discount" them off the system. Fitting in the store sans tank and weights went well which is why I purchased. The real fitting will come tomorrow with the store owner/instructor at the pool.

I'm sure it will fit me, that is not the question. It fits everyone doesn't it? I'm more worried about back and neck pain from the rig being on my shoulders only. I have a Titanium disk and fusion in my neck as well as a Ti disk in my lower back.

I moved from a jacket because of the restriction to movement and to lose weight off the hips - especially the integrated weight of the SP Jacket which sits too high. Though I certainly could have just not used it, that would have put a lot of weight right on my hips, forward of my spine.

Most of the weight on the system (BP/W) should be on your hips if correctly configured, not on your shoulders/upper-back. I am not sure how this will affect your lower back, only you understand your "pains". BP/W systems really are worth the money and will enhance your diving a lot.

I'm not sure what your problem is, but if it's that the strap is riding too far out on the shoulder, or cutting into your upper arm, you can try rigging them crossed. (Strap comes out of left upper slot and goes to RIGHT lower slot.) This will make the plate ride slightly lower on your back, which is not an issue with single tanks at all. It's the way I set my harness up, because I'm very small and I hate the feeling that the straps are going to slide off my shoulders.

Made my first pool session today with the new Halcyon Infinity and DUI TLS350. It was interesting, fun, made a few mistakes and learned a lot.

First while suiting up the DS at an indoor pool with 84° water. I talked the DM into my only using the fourth element Drybase. Not a good idea and he should not have let me.
That made me way too heavy because there is not enough buoyancy in the suit. Even at 8lbs I was still too heavy.

Second, because I did not have enough thermal on my feet the turbo soles were fitting too sloppy. Coupled with new Jet Fins the straps would not stay on as the strap would slide down off my ankle - adjusting them tighter did not seem to help. Also, turns out they need a drain hole drilled - I kind of remember something like that from my first pair 30 years ago. You would think they would have fixed that by now.

Third problem, I did not cinch the crotch belt enough on the Halcyon - forgot I was going to get help adjusting this before pool entry. The shoulder straps would not stay put, they fell off constantly.

Even though I had these problems, I did manage to learn some basics of the DS, practiced getting out of the feet up - buoyancy issue. And even with the buoyancy issues, I was able to get neutral and practice ascent and descent. So they are going to give me another pool session next week and fix the 3 issues above before hitting the pool. They are going to check the fit of the rig in the shop and put some clips/slides in that will prevent me from over tightening it.

But other than the straps falling off, I did not notice any issue withe the BC and it was pretty easy to get on and off in the water.

The DM also recommended I get some spring straps for the fins. I was looking at doing that for the future, but now does seem to be the right time. How do I know which size to get? They are in 8, 10 and 12" and not cheap, so I don't want to make a mistake with the wrong one. If I measure the size my current straps to the buckle, and then go smaller than that size, will that work?

Third problem, I did not cinch the crotch belt enough on the Halcyon - forgot I was going to get help adjusting this before pool entry. The shoulder straps would not stay put, they fell off constantly.

On my first four or five dives with the Infinity, I had to readjust when I got into the water. Get horizontal, undo the buckle and tighten the waist belts some more then went on with my business. The process takes less than a minute. I'd jump in first and do this while waiting for my buddy (buddies). But now I got it down pretty good. The trick is to do it while you're sitting on a bench so that the weight is off the rig. Or bounce it on your back a bit while taking up the slack. I know that the latter probably isn't an option for you because of your bad back. So, I'd suggest tightening the belt while the rig sits on something or readjust in the water.

They are going to check the fit of the rig in the shop and put some clips/slides in that will prevent me from over tightening it.

One of my buddies who also uses the Infinity puts a keeper on his buckle side so that the belt wouldn't loosen too much. Whatever works for ya. There's more than one way to skin this cat.

People have very strong opinions on BP/W's (make, model, configuration, what is comfortable and what is not, what is best etc.)

I have found that you will have your own experience with your gear.

I have a Halcyon Infinity. It took a while to get used to it. It is not comfortable on the surface but in the water it is excellent.It is good to get advice from someone who knows BP/W to make sure you understand D ring placement and proper adjustment. Once you have the basics then you will make those finer adjustment that fit your body. After several dives you will find just the right adjustment for YOU.

A couple of techniques that I use.

You must adjust the cinch with tank supported or in water. I set my let side strap and leave it. I only expand or contract the right side. This makes it a fast set up by just adjusting the right side to match the the left side which I have set correctly. I then bend over and get the tank weight more in the center of my back and then do final cinch adjustment, attach crotch strap, buckle and go.

I use a drysuit which compresses in the water and I tighten one more time.

you can remove one side of the sexbolts at the bottom which will allow for easier access to the storage area in the back pad.

I just used the infinity for some pretty long hikes in Maui in a thin wetsuit and i will say that it is the most comfortable BC system i've ever used by a long shot both in and out of the water. It sounds like you have a fair bit of adjusting still to be done.

The nicest thing i found about the infinity was the ability to fine tune it with the 'new to me' gear config (my first warm water dives ever - I have >5000 dives all in cold water/drysuit combo, and generally always dive in dubs as opposed to singles) I was able to work the tank down, easily adjust shoulder strap length/crotch strap length so that i was not bonking my head on the tank valve, etc... in a regular BP/W system i would have had a much more painful time making adjustments and getting it all dialed in so quickly.

you can remove one side of the sexbolts at the bottom which will allow for easier access to the storage area in the back pad.

Actually, I removed the pad and replaced it with just the storage pack. There is a larger opening on the storage pack and without the pad I can fit a larger SMB. In one of your videos from DEMA 2009 you interviewed a company called Custom Divers and they had a radar reflective SMB. That's the one I now have - they should send you a thank you gift as it was that interview that led me to them. I also purchased a canister from them for a Fast Find PLB.

Maybe if I go hiking in Hawaii, I will put the pad back.:idk:

ah yes, that makes sense... the storage pack definitely allows more room :)

Oh ya, that radar reflective SMB is pretty trick but indeed not the smallest around :)

The shoulder pads are what i found to be the most help with regards to comfort whilst walking...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom