New H-valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RumBum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is probably a stupid question, but here goes. I have a new H-valve but don't have a 2nd reg for it yet. My eager husband already installed the H-valve. Is there any reason I can't dive it with nothing on the 2nd post?
Thanks!

Husbands can be somewhat ernest when it comes to new equipment.

The real pain with H-valves is that unless you go for two additional 1sts with all the required regs/hoses, you are constantly 'rebuilding' your regs as you move between a standard valved tank and the H-vale tank.

No reason at all but a couple of thoughts. The valve is going to capture water. This in itself is not a problem as normally one would blow out out the valve before filling it. But this does not always happen. As such, it is possible to have salt water blown into your cylinder. This can happen with a std. valve as well. But at least most of the time it is covered by a reg so if the filler forgets there is a smaller chance of a water intrusion.

So two options, if a provalve with DIN/Yoke get a Stainless steel DIN plug and put in there. Or if a two piece H valve just take it off and put in a plug. Both options cost the same.

I would be concern that any salt water that enters the outer cavity of the valve will not get fully rinsed, flushed, or soaked with fresh water. If the salt water is allowed to dry before it is blown out, the salts will stay behind.

If the valve is rinsed and you blow the valve dry (from the air in the tank) immediately after the dive, you will probably blow all the salt water before it has a chance to dry, but I would not wait until you get home to at least blow the valve dry.

That goes for pretty much any valve. Once you remove the reg, crack the valve and blow enough air through the valve to remove any water before it slowly evaporates and leaves salt behind. With an H valve, you just need to do it with both valves.

It is particularly true of DIN valves as water has more place to hide and tends to get caught in the threads.

This is probably a stupid question, but here goes. I have a new H-valve but don't have a 2nd reg for it yet. My eager husband already installed the H-valve. Is there any reason I can't dive it with nothing on the 2nd post?
Thanks!

The resaon I won't dive without anything on the second post, is my concern with bumping the valve and dumping my air. My H valves came with a plug you could use when the second post is removed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom