New guy says Hi!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gregavolt

Reaction score
Just wanted to congratulate you all on being part of one of the best forums I have ever seen on ANY subject! Lots of great information, easy to find, and best of all, every one seems to treat one another with respect. "Silly" newbie questions are answered without the sort of 'don't you know that?' and 'see FAQ before you ask ANYTHING' mentality I have seen on so many other forums... so I just wanted to say thanks to you all.

As for me, I am in the agonizingly long week between my class/pool work and my first ever open water dive, and am as excited as a kid on Xmas Eve! I am lucky enough that my first OW experience will be in wonderful Monterey Bay, CA, and am told that it is one of the most unique and diverse dive areas in the world. But, one thing scares me just a bit... I "inherited" a 6.5mm wetsuit that fits great, but I noticed that in the pool, I was comfortable, but definately not hot. The pool must have been in the mid 80's, and the Bay will probably be in the upper 40's. Will I get too cold? I understand the thickest suits are 7mm, and I doubt .5mm should make that much difference, but can anyone reassure me I won't freeze?

Also, as luck would have it, I am going to Ambergris Caye, Belize, the following weekend. Will be staying at the Sunbreeze hotel, and I was wondering if anyone has been there before, and can tell me if it is a decent place to stay, convenient, etc, as well as any good restaurants or nightlife in San Pedro.

Well, that's about it, and hope to see some of you soon "beneath the waves!":vamp

Welcome to the board and good luck with the dive!

I was certified in Puget Sound in April :)cold:) and was wearing a 7mm full suit with a 5mm farmer john (jane??) on top and was warm enough. The cold part was the surface interval - but that may not be as much of an issue in CA!

I'm sure you won't freeze, but a little tip that someone gave me that weekend was to bring along a cooler filled with hot water... between dives (or before your first dive) just pour some into your wetsuit - makes you nice and toasty. (Others on the board will tell you about other liquids to warm up your wetsuit but I'm not going there...):boom:

Gregavolt,

Welcome to the board. You'll find a lot of friendly folks here. Since I'm from Houston, I can't be any help on diving Monterey Bay. Your instructor should be able to answer your questions. The wet suit you "inherited" may be compressed down to where you are not getting full benefit of the suit. Again, let your instructor look it over and give you an opinion. Your hood, gloves, and booties are part of the solution. You will probably go into a dry suit as you dive Monterey Bay in the future. Being from Texas, 40 degree water is COLD no matter what you do.

You'll enjoy Belize. The Sunbreeze is a good mid range place to stay. You may want to check with one of the denizens on this board by the name of Gaz Cooper. He runs a dive operation on Ambergris. Good reefs. You'll have a good time. Good Luck on your OW dives and enjoy your trip to Belize.

DSAO,

Larry

6.5 and not hot in a pool? yikes

One piece of advice, don't come diving here - you'll like turn into a popsicle.

All and all, enjoy! Life under the waves is great!. Glad to have you on board hehehe

Enjoy the boards, you can learn alot and let us know of all the fun and exciting diving you do....

Rich :mean:

Hey man,

In case no one has suggested it; bring a thermos of warm water and "pre-heat" your suit before your dive. If you forget or run out; jumping in with just your suit on before you gear up will give the water achance to warm up. This works for me and since I live north of the 49th, we know all about cold water diving(especially kneeling on the bottom doing skills)

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!

mike (DM in training)

We're just one big family! Glad you like it here...we're pretty proud of the place too.

Back
Top Bottom