New Gulf of Mexico cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was visiting my mother in law in florida a few years ago I was looking for something to read. I found an old book of Florida maps. Not sure why she had it since she was very much not scientific. Anyway it had florida maps going back tens of thousands of years. There were maps where the ocean was down several hundred ft. During a major ice age I assume. There were also maps where Florida was mostly under water and just some small islands and stuff down the middle. Depending on the climate oceans go down and up.
Which is exactly why EVERYBODY ought to be concerned about sea-level rise. But many are not. Good luck to them. They are going to be helping to pay the bills even if they live far from the ocean.

Which is exactly why EVERYBODY ought to be concerned about sea-level rise. But many are not. Good luck to them. They are going to be helping to pay the bills even if they live far from the ocean.
If sea levels are up 300' right now without us doing anything what makes you think we can do anything?

If sea levels are up 300' right now without us doing anything what makes you think we can do anything?
That's a non sequitur.

Yes that what some of the scientists that my group do some work for say. They are thinking the oceans could have been up to 300' shallower than they are today. I am not sure what kind of evidence they have of that but it is pretty interesting on how many changes the world has gone through.

Speleotherms (stalagmites and stalagtites) only develop in dry passage . The water drops evaporate to form the speleotherm. There are speleotherms at 300' deep or so from my understanding in the Bahamas and the Blue Hole in Belize.

We did not notice any flow yesterday.
One of these days WKPP is going to make a salt water connection. They are really getting close.
Cool spring hole, lots of them out there.

As the aquifer gets drained the saltwater moves in (and in the case of Indonesia, the land sinks). So WKPP may have some help.

Wow bro, nice grouper hole!!! I am surprised a big black wasn't hanging out. Sometimes in lower viz they can scoot out of there before you see them.

We have some really cool holes here too so I bet there are more up there. I am not sure how far down they go no way I am going more than 50 feet down them lol

If you do go into a saltwater cave you need to pay attention to the condition of any existing line. It seems to me the line doesn't last but about 4 or 5 years before it deteriorates in saltwater. It is a bad feeling to touch the line and have a long stretch of line disintegrate into a lot of small pieces.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom