New GoPro "package" checklist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bloody yanks![emoji3]
When are you leaving Ray?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get one of these...

scp36491.jpg

And some of this...

picresized_1216369328_pict0004.jpg

Do this...

light_13.jpg

And you'll end up looking like this guy...

Carib_112113_033.jpg

That's me diving with a buddy's borrowed rig on last year's trip.

---------- Post added February 10th, 2015 at 02:28 PM ----------

Does the Black offer anything useful for "non-diving" use?

Guess I can invest a few minutes to at least compare the two on the GoPro site.

:D

---------- Post added February 10th, 2015 at 02:29 PM ----------

Did the Odyssey for 14 of the 21 days on my last trip there. Got an insane last-minute deal on the Truk Siren. Ten days for less than the Odyssey charges for seve,

Hey instead of rigging up a way to attach it to yourself I love using these Nordic Flash attachments, you can look at them here Amazon.com : Waterproof Camera Float (2-pack) Floating Camera Strap for Your Underwater GoPro/Panasonic Lumix/Nikon COOLPIX AW110/Canon PowerShot D20/Fujifilm FinePix/Olympus Tough/Sony - Float the Case Around Your Wrist and Save Your Device from Sin they saved me so many times and keeps my camera nearby. I've even attached it to those clips with a spool of retracting nylon string and then hooked it to my BCD. it's easy to take on off which is great and even for me I have yet to lose it. Also there are color correcting filters you can use for your goPro. Some say they make a world of difference.

The question would be, would a float like that be enough if the GoPro is being used on a tray since most folks I know that shoot with a GoPro use a tray. My guess would be it's not going to be enough but I haven't seen one upclose.

I would hate to have a positively bouyant rig. No matter if it's a still photo or a video rig, no matter the size. Slightly negative and tethered to me somehow is the way I'd want it.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

"and probably the Flip 3.1 with MacroMate mini."

bs-flip31-mmc.jpg

I've spent a significant amount of time testing the backscatter filters and what I would was the Deep filter is not very good.
The colors are not even remotely natural, and it affects the sharpness to a significant degree.

Here is a shot at the same location, about 3 seconds later without the filter:

I don't know if the diver or shallow filter would be the same with regards to sharpness, but it is mostly irrelevant because...

The +10 filter is awesome! It doesn't do much for close focusing, maybe makes it an inch or so closer, but it significantly increases sharpness at all focal ranges. It does cut down of field of view though. If you can get more than one, and one of them is the older, thicker type that you can stack, you can focus on things that are about 1/4" in front of the camera. So close it would be hard to illuminate the subject. I haven't tried it yet underwater, but it would definitely be macro- capable.

With filter:

without filter:

You might have to view full size to see the difference, I'm not sure what type of compression SB puts on images.

-Chris

I've spent a significant amount of time testing the backscatter filters and what I would was the Deep filter is not very good.
The colors are not even remotely natural, and it affects the sharpness to a significant degree.

This is a very interesting comparison. What it tells me is to shoot without filters and fix colors in the edit room. If the filters harm the sharpness of the image that amounts to significant damage that can't be reversed in editing. However, with the powerful color correction tools available to us in editing now, I am much less concerned about the color of the raw image - within bounds, of course. But using a filter that affects the sharpness of the image is a mortal sin. There is still no substitute for correctly lighting a scene as you shoot it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom