New GoPro "package" checklist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For us the app uploaded the new firmware pretty easy. Gopro Hero 4 black.

Hey RJP,
Exciting trip Truk !
Think about going with the Silver unless you really want 4K for some reason.
Silver is a terrific dive camera and a great deal as the monitor is included. We have been very impressed with the footage we've been getting out of it this week in the Mexican Caves.
Think about the Jaws Flex Clamp (from GoPro) as an addition to you arsenal. It's very versatile. We've been using it a lot here in tighter restrictions as you can clip the light in the clamp which steadies the shot and you can go one handed.

If you haven't already bought lights etc, look for a setup that enables easy removal underwater so you can enlist your buddies to help with lighting the wrecks or place them yourself. Two lights are better than one of course, and go with more power and adjustable settings if you have some money to blow. They make all the difference, especially with a GoPro.

If you need a crash course, read The Underwater GoPro Book on your mac, or email me if you are a PC guy.
Have fun in Truk.

Pete Bucknell

Reactions: RJP
There really is no reason to go with the black unless you plan on doing a bunch of 4k slow motion videos. Keeping in mind that attempting to edit 4k video of any frame rate will be painstaking unless you have VERY nice computer.
I get such good video from 1080 @ 30 fps, I don't bother with higher resolution or faster frame rates only because of how much longer it takes to copy files and render final movies.

If you DO want 4k video then either get 64gb cards or buy twice as many 32gb cards as you think you need. I doubt you'll get over 45 minutes of 4k@30 on a 32gb card.

Last piece of advice if you go pole mount... Epoxy your tripod adaptor to the screw threads of the mount. I've lost two GoPro (but recovered one) by the mount unscrewing itself while waiting in choppy seas to get on a boat after a dive.

Your leaving out a red lense.....would love to come to truk....

Your leaving out a red lense.....would love to come to truk....

"and probably the Flip 3.1 with MacroMate mini."

bs-flip31-mmc.jpg

So what's it gonna be Bro...........Silver or Black?

So what's it gonna be Bro...........Silver or Black?

"Once you go Black... you'll never look back."

Using a "least-regret" decision model, I figure the likelihood that at some point in the future that I'd be annoyed that I didn't have some or other feature on the Silver was higher than the likelihood that at some point in the future I'd specifically wish I had an extra $100 in the bank.

:d

Using a "least-regret" decision model, I figure the likelihood that at some point in the future that I'd be annoyed that I didn't have some or other feature on the Silver was higher than the likelihood that at some point in the future I'd specifically wish I had an extra $100 in the bank.
Using a "feature-comparison/needs-analysis" decision model, I figured the likelihood that at some point in the future that I'd be annoyed that I didn't have the touch display on the Silver was higher than the likelihood that at some point in the future I'd be annoyed that I didn't have the 4k30 feature on the Black.

So I went for the Silver. The extra $100 in the bank was just a nice bonus :D

The extra $100 in the bank was just a nice bonus :D

It's actually $179... since I'm going with the LCD BacPac too.

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom