New Genesis 2.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Jon Nellis

Been enjoying my new G2.1. Hopefully, I get it to use it around Schmieder Bank this weekend. I have a thin sheet of Mu Metal that is about 10x8. Where do you recommend that I place the sheet of Mu Metal? Shall I place it somewhere on the battery pack or should I place it on the inner wall of the hull, directly below the compass.

Also, is there any maintenance on the key and the charge port? Do I need to rinse the pins of the port and the female ports of the key with fresh water? I install the key on land prior to diving and do not remove the key until I have washed, rinsed and dried the DPV.

O.

@Jon Nellis

Been enjoying my new G2.1. Hopefully, I get it to use it around Schmieder Bank this weekend. I have a thin sheet of Mu Metal that is about 10x8. Where do you recommend that I place the sheet of Mu Metal?

First thing I would try is simply place the compass on the MuMetal sheet and see if there is any effect. Slowly rotate the sheet under the compass and check for movement. If there is a small effect, space it up 3/4" with a book or something else nonmagnetic and repeat. If no significant effect, cut a piece 5.5" wide by 6.0" long and place it on the top of the battery. I'd also run a strip of tape down the center, over the unused connectors on top of the Warp Core.

Let me know if it works and I can scratch it off my todo list.

@Jon Nellis

Been enjoying my new G2.1. Hopefully, I get it to use it around Schmieder Bank this weekend. I have a thin sheet of Mu Metal that is about 10x8. Where do you recommend that I place the sheet of Mu Metal? Shall I place it somewhere on the battery pack or should I place it on the inner wall of the hull, directly below the compass.

Also, is there any maintenance on the key and the charge port? Do I need to rinse the pins of the port and the female ports of the key with fresh water? I install the key on land prior to diving and do not remove the key until I have washed, rinsed and dried the DPV.

O.
Rinse the whole scooter, including the key and pins in fresh water.

We got our new scooters earlier this week and dove them at Ginnie last night. They are fantastic. The Sentry computer is awesome.

Hi Jon,

Is the Sentry compatible with the Dive Xtras Blacktip Exploration ?
What is the price and how easy/dificult would it be to install?

Thanks

Rinse the whole scooter, including the key and pins in fresh water.

Best is to rinse the DPV with the key installed and then remove it. It does not hurt anything to rinse the pins if they get dirty or exposed to seawater, but there's no reason to rinse them if they are already clean. There's also no reason to rinse the key separately, except if you accidentally get crud or seawater in the sockets, and then you want to make blow the rinse water out with a blast of air from a tank (like a regulator cap) so it does not sit in there.

Hi Jon,

Is the Sentry compatible with the Dive Xtras Blacktip Exploration ?
What is the price and how easy/dificult would it be to install?

Thanks

I haven't installed one on a blacktip yet, but it should work great through the plastic housing. The transmitter just plugs between the battery and motor and display is strapped to the outside. The smaller diameter will likely cause a single contact point with the tube in the center of the display, instead of sitting on the mounting feet, but it should not move around. Does the blacktip use the small Anderson battery connectors or the 75A? If small connectors, $715, if large $745

Thanks Jon,

The Blacktip Exploration works with 4 batteries Dewalt 12 Ah in total, but set up as 2 Batteries in series made of 2 DW 12 Ah each) and use 75A Anderson connectors.

How easy/dificult is the Sentry transmitter to adapt, soldering the leads of the small power connector to the respective Red and Black 75A Anderson connectors?

Best is to rinse the DPV with the key installed and then remove it. It does not hurt anything to rinse the pins if they get dirty or exposed to seawater, but there's no reason to rinse them if they are already clean. There's also no reason to rinse the key separately, except if you accidentally get crud or seawater in the sockets, and then you want to make blow the rinse water out with a blast of air from a tank (like a regulator cap) so it does not sit in there.

I disconnect mine at the time I clip the leash off to the nose strap. Keeps me from tripping on the leash as I walk it out of the water (or up the beach) and forgetting to remove the nose plug and killing the batteries all at the same time.

Thanks Jon,

The Blacktip Exploration works with 4 batteries Dewalt 12 Ah in total, but set up as 2 Batteries in series made of 2 DW 12 Ah each) and use 75A Anderson connectors.

How easy/dificult is the Sentry transmitter to adapt, soldering the leads of the small power connector to the respective Red and Black 75A Anderson connectors?

We ship it with whichever connectors you need and it simply plugs inline between the battery and motor. No adapters needed.

I disconnect mine at the time I clip the leash off to the nose strap. Keeps me from tripping on the leash as I walk it out of the water (or up the beach) and forgetting to remove the nose plug and killing the batteries all at the same time.

That explains why I had to dig a bunch of mud out of your key to get it to seat all the way. ;-)

The fog in Monterey killed my SCUBA plans as we had intended to dive into Big Sur and at a distance from shore. Decided to head home and played around with the thin sheet of Mu Metal that I bought. Think of a baking sheet that is very bendable and maleable. That's how the Mu Metal sheet feels. The Mu Metal sheet does affect the compass. The card will follow the sheet as I rotated it around the compass. However, the sheet needs to be extremely close. When I placed the compass module ontop of the sheet, the needle did move. When I placed the module within its wrist boot, the distance was sufficient to prevent any effect by the sheet.

To test the effectiveness of the sheet, I placed one compass at the rear of the hull where it has minimal interference. I moved a second compass forward on the hull with the sheet between the hull and compass. Both compasses read nearly identical readings, as I moved the second compass from the rear to the front of the hull. Decided then to install the sheet directly onto the battery pack.

Took a few photos of how I configured my DPV. I changed the location of the 1lb counter-weight, in an attempt to clock the handle at three o'clock when released. The DGX compass and boot is heavier than the Suunto Compass with DSS boot. This may negatively affect the trim of the DPV. Here is how I have configured my DPV. I'll test it next week and see it how it behaves underwater. The compass is now mounted to two inch stiff webbing that forms the soft handle of the DPV. I used the red tape as a reference line on the hull surface. As a side effects, I think it looks nice with the red stripe. No, I'm not going to add Shelby stripes to my DPV...

20200718_191247.jpg 20200718_192547.jpg 20200718_205013.jpg 20200718_205033.jpg

O.

Back
Top Bottom