New Genesis 2.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, if I understand correctly, if the tube is snagged underwater, the motor will flood and the battery will be damaged?

Could you explain how you envision that someone might "snag" a DPV tube, such that it overcomes the hundreds, if not thousands, of pounds of force pushing the body onto the tail?

@Jon Nellis I was going to respond to the tube thing and decided who my audience was. This guy is never going to buy a Genesis. Up until this thread, I’ve never seen him be so vocal about anything. I’m guessing he works for or sells for or is buddies with one of your competitors.

He obviously has never been within 5’ of your scooter. For the life of me, I can’t conceive a manner in which that tube for the throttle could possibly get snagged. I’m not going to say it’s impossible, but it’s so nearly impossible that I’d almost guarantee that if it does happen under normal (and not intentional destruction) I’d cover the repair. In nearly a decade of these things being on the market has anyone ever torn the tube? The jagged rock missed the housing, the handle, the struts holding the nozzle and perfectly aligned in a one in a million chance and caught on the clear tube? Lol.

Geesh.

[Mod edit]

I meant that small transparent tube. I don't know, is "a hose" be a better description? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...-10-ft-Clear-Vinyl-Tubing-T10006010/304185142 HomeDepot describes it as tubing, a tube.. ? Is it not correct?

No, we do not use cheap vinyl tubing from Home Depot. The clear tubing we use, I've used on inspection ROVs with 1atm internal down to 1400' and 3 ton work class ROVs beyond 6000 meters deep, when pressure compensated. I'm not the least bit worried about it. Just to cut it, we have to use a brand new razor blade and then grease the blade to get it to pass through. Zero failures in the 20+ years I've been using it is a pretty good track record, and I've even seen it sucked into a 40hp spinning ROV propeller and survive. If you are driving it through an underwater maze of greased razor blades at high speed, then you might want to be a little concerned.

@Superlyte27 He's not a commie spy, he's been asking questions since 2017. It just takes a while to understand physical mechanical design considerations, when someone's primary knowledge base is esthetic appearances (that are faked with Photoshop half the time). There's a lot of things I don't have a great understanding of either.

@Jon Nellis I was going to respond to the tube thing and decided who my audience was. This guy is never going to buy a Genesis. Up until this thread, I’ve never seen him be so vocal about anything. I’m guessing he works for or sells for or is buddies with one of your competitors.

He obviously has never been within 5’ of your scooter. For the life of me, I can’t conceive a manner in which that tube for the throttle could possibly get snagged. I’m not going to say it’s impossible, but it’s so nearly impossible that I’d almost guarantee that if it does happen under normal (and not intentional destruction) I’d cover the repair. In nearly a decade of these things being on the market has anyone ever torn the tube? The jagged rock missed the housing, the handle, the struts holding the nozzle and perfectly aligned in a one in a million chance and caught on the clear tube? Lol.

Geesh.

So you’re saying there’s a chance? - Dumb and Dumber

This is elitist and condescending as f-k. Instead of helping to understand the scooter, you chose this as a reply? What is wrong with you?

PS: I always wanted a Genesis scooter but it was out of my price range. Took me a number of years to save for it. I apologize for wanting to know more about the scooter. I did not realize that the Genesis vendor could be so hateful to potential customers. You are a vendor, Superlyte27?

This is elitist and condescending as f-k. Instead of helping to understand the scooter, you chose this as a reply? What is wrong with you?

PS: I always wanted a Genesis scooter but it was out of my price range. Took me a number of years to save for it. I apologize for wanting to know more about the scooter. I did not realize that the Genesis vendor could be so hateful to potential customers. You are a vendor, Superlyte27?

I’m sorry, genuinely. I honestly thought you were a troll trying to screw with Jon. I’m protective of my people.

@Texasguy :

What are you primary concerns with the Genesis DPVs? Many of us bought a Genesis DPV because the DPV's thrust and efficiency surpasses other offerings on the market. In addition, the Genesis DPVs have some extremely desirable features. The magnetic propeller eliminates any possibility of flooding the motor via a high speed shaft seal. The external charge ports eliminates the need to remove the hull, unless you want to remove/disable the Warp Core while traveling on an airline. The Suex, DiveXtra, Bonex and Silent Subersion DPVs require the removal of the hull to charge the batteries. This introduces the "possibility" of damaging the hull o-ring(s) or contaminating them (dirt, fur/hair, etc).

In six years of diving with a PDV, I have only seen two units incur water damage, both Gavins. One leaked at the nose-plate o-ring while the other had a high speed shaft seal failure. On the latter, if I recall correctly, the salt water damaged the brush board, but luckily, did not damage the armature of the motor. I am not an engineer but I believe these are the failures that Jon wanted to eliminate/drastically reduce, when he designed the Genesis DPVs.

I don't believe that cutting the clear tube "should be" a concern. Even if you were in a wreck or cave, you wouldn't let the DPV dangle. It would be in hand or clipped to your D-Ring. Maybe if you were towing it behind you via your crotch strap that could be a possibility. However, if you had such concerns, I'm certain you could fashion a protective cover with Kydex, which is extremely maleable with heat. Although from Jon's description, that tube appears harder than Kydex.

O.

I think if he borrowed mine for a few days, it would alleviate all of his concerns. I can fly one down to Ft. Lauderdale.

...Although from Jon's description, that tube appears harder than Kydex.

Kydex is actually a lot "harder" on a Shore scale. The reason the clear tubing is so difficult to damage, is that its notch sensitivity is extremely low, but you'd have to have an advanced understanding of polymer failure modes to know how that works.

Hi, I have a few questions about the manual.

"Should the DPV be run until cutout, remove the recharge plug cover on the nose of the DPV after exiting the water and recharge the battery at your earliest opportunity."

and

"The battery will heat up the most during the end of a deep discharge and should be allowed to cool for one hour before recharging."

Seems like these 2 statements a a tad conflicting with each other on priorities, does one wait or not?

---------------------------------------------------

And another question:

In the specs for a scooter it states: "Battery Voltage – 64.8VDC nominal"

and then in "Sentry-Manual-R2.1" page 8 in the table "Genesis DPV battery capacity based on resting voltage" it shows voltages 33.6 - 29.0V, which is confusing, as I'd expect them to be in 64v range or so..

Back
Top Bottom