New gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MxDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just purchased the following gear from scubatoys (they were really helpful), let me know what you think:
Zeagle Brigade
Oceanic Delta 3 TDX5 Titanium reg
Zeagle RKO Octo Inflator
Oceanic max depth console
Wrist mounted compass
and from my LDS:
Twin jet max fins and
CrystalVu Mask

Regards.

That's all good stuff though I'm no fan of alternate/inflater combos but without knowing you and your diving it's hard to say much.

Getting into your own gear is the big step to being a frequent active diver so keep that stuff damp with frequent use.

Since you just dropped the cash a post of your buying rationale would be much more interesting.

Pete

Nice kit - Go blow bubbles
Be safe

spectrum:
Since you just dropped the cash a post of your buying rationale would be much more interesting.

Pete

I got certified back in 87, I dove in a regular basis for a couple of years after that, but then I quit diving for a while, after that was it was on and off until recently. I went to the Caribbean and I got the itch to get back into diving again, I have already signed for my AOW and Rescue Diver classes. I got rid of my equipment sometime ago and I decided it was a good time to get new equipment before I took the classes.

Zeagle Brigade: My first impulse was to go with a Mares Morphos metal; I liked the Air Trim system. Doing a search on reviews I came to ScubaBoard. After reading opinions on the board and finding about the different types of BCD’s and their advantages I decided on a back inflate BCD. I narrowed my search to two models Sea Quest Balance and Zeagle Brigade. The rave reviews on Zeagle equipment on the board and the assurance of Scubatoys to help me if the need ever arises sold me on the Brigade.

Oceanic Delta 3 TDX5 Titanium: What can I say; I like Titanium. Don’t get me wrong I wouldn’t pay $1,200.00 dollars for the regulator and, if Tech Diving was on my near future I would also pass on the deal, because of the compatibility issues with gas mixtures containing over 40% oxygen. Other than these two issues there is nothing bad with the regulator’s performance, so at $400.00 bucks and only 36% enriched air diving in my future it was a deal hard to beat. Besides that if I ever get into Tech Diving I’ll have an excuse to buy more gear. :D

Zeagle RKO Octo Inflator: I know the opinions of these inflator/octopus combos are split. I like the idea of getting rid of an extra hose and having the secondary air source in a place where you grab it instinctively if is ever needed. I will instruct my diving buddy to go for my primary in an OOA situation. If I find out that I really hate it for any reason after the Rescue Diver class I can always sell it and get a regular octo instead. Considering prices for equipment here in Mexico are 25 to 50% higher I’m confident I can get what I paid for it at the very least.

Oceanic max depth console: Two things, the non-linear depth scale and, I wanted to keep my gauges the same brand as my regulator.

Wrist mounted compass: Versatility, with an available clip I can mount the compass in the console if I want to switch. Hard to do the other way around with a console mounted compass.

Twin Jet Max fins: I was trying some fins at the LDS, mostly Cressi. When I asked about jet fins the owner told me he had a pair of Twin Jets, a customer order them in yellow and they arrived in blue so they had to reorder, He said he would let me have them for 25% off, never tried a split fin before and I am curios about the performance so I said what a heck.

CrystalVu Mask: First and foremost it fit the best of all the available masks. This and the fins were two items I did not want to buy on-line to insure good fit. I got the model with a purge, which is something I wanted to try for a while.
Regards.

I have to thank Scubatoys for their great customer service, as I mentioned before I went with them because their assurance to help me with any issues. When I received my equipment I noticed the plug for the RKO was missing, and the compass I got had a rather large air bubble and no evidence of leaking (the compass wasn't damaged during delivery). I wrote an e-mail to Scubatoys this morning letting them know about these issues, not even 20 minutes later I got a reply from Joe telling me he would send the plug right away and asking me if I wanted a new compass, I replied, and 3 hours later I had the shipping information.
I have to say it is one thing reading about their customer service and another living it, now I really understand why everybody is so prompt to recommend them to anyone looking to buy equipment, they got my vote.

Regards
MxDiver

I bought my first set of gear from Scubatoys about 2 years ago. To this day I remain impressed with their customer service.

My Brigade has been working awesome. Really pleased with the design, and it fits perfect. For me, its as close to ideal as I've found. Cold water, warm water, it doesn't care - perfect sized for everything I dive. Fits just as good with a wetsuit as a drysuit. Just as comfortable with 34 pounds of lead in it as it is with 8.

I sent my regulator in to Scubatoys for service and it came back about a month and a half ago. Perfect job, breathes great, no freeflowing problems or other issues of any sort. They do great work, and at their prices, it's 1/4 of what I'd pay if I sent my regulator to Anchorage. Get it back faster too!

We have a lot of new up and coming divers here, and no dive shop for 800 miles. You can bet I'm sending them in Larry's direction when they ask where to buy gear.

Yeah, I'm a happy camper!

-Brandon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom