New Gear to test out! Need a patient, chill safety. PBI/FLL.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

B1200

Registered
Reaction score
SE Florida folks hello!!

I'm new to your forum but not to the dive world. Returned last month from diving the Indian Ocean off Mozambique and my dive affliction was seriously restarted. Twenty+ years experience, but relegated to a casual vacation diver the past couple of years due to family obligations. Certified NAUI Advanced, and essentially finished all PADI Rescue training until I got hit-n-ran by a taxi on Roatan and busted my foot just before last water-work 5 years ago. I have approximately 200 dives in (lost logbook at 120 and haven't recorded since), 90% saltwater. Mostly relatively shallow (90% <60 feet; several 3-digit-depth dives). I like critters more than wrecks. Currents, animals, equipment issues, and Plan-Bs don't make me nervous.

Anyways, I just bought a bunch of new gear to complement my ageing Nautica/Dacor BC (20 years-old; no leaks--still like it a lot) and basics, and am picking up a couple of in-hydro/vis 4-y/o Luxfer AL80 tanks tomorrow to test out my new regulator setup (HOG D1 sealed 1st stage with Zenith 2nd and classic octo) and some other gear. I am not a DIR convert, though appreciate the thoughtfulness that believers have, but my hoses are classic length, without extra, and all items are well-secured. I'm aiming for a casual weekend inwater (Blue Heron, PBI?) or shore dive (anywhere between PBI and MIA), or both, to sort out new gear, Locally in Florida, I've primarily boat--dived, mostly in the Keys, but have snorkeled and know the expected surface currents w/in 300 metes offshore Atlantic in my neighborhood. Anyways, I'm looking to meet a relaxed like-minded person in the general neighborhood who perhaps wouldn't mind a somewhat chill first introduction to get acquainted while I sort my gear to get wet. Shore, intracoastal, inland, or boat--all are fine and I'd be happy to share costs beyond your air refill, of course, while I sort out with my new gear and probable weighting/buoyancy changes.

I also picked up a brand-new 110 cm Mako Predator Pro gun with all the extras (probably a reel that I won't need til I buy a boat), that is just aching to get wet and tested out, but that is secondary to me getting familiar with new dive gear, and will wait for now. Butk bonus if you're an experienced speargunner, because I'm admittedly entirely new to the sport, but ambitious. Damn, I might even let you shoot my gun before I even first do--it's a true virgin.

Personally, I'm a self-sufficient medical professional in my early 50s, good health, not overweight, with a pretty decent understanding of life's basic mechanics, including how pressurized breathing apparatus functions.

Please toss a pm if you're interested and available!

Tx! Matt

Last edited:
howdy and welcome from southeast florida...sorry no one has responded to your post....

I've found Blue Heron Bridge and Lauderdale by the Sea to be good locations to test new gear or configurations. I've moved to ATL last year so can't help out as a buddy, but wanted to suggest two good sites from my prior experience in Florida. BHB is especially easy and a lot of divers go solo

Hi there, OP here. Thanks for the tips. Kinda quiet around this site--perhaps it was my post. Anyways, love the new set-up after several easy beach dives off of FLL, Vista Park, etc---niiice.

Matt, when I lived in Florida, I joined Gold Coast scuba down in Lauderdale-By-The-Sea. Gold Coast is a scuba shop but they also sponsor a meetup.com dive group. That group is very active with several dives planned each week it's a good way to meet dive buddies

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom