New gear purchase survey 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Havent Bought Anything Yet But Going To Buy The Suunto Vyper Dive Computer, As I Heard It Is Very Good For "Newbies" :wink: Lol.

Could You Peeps Suggest Any Other Dive Computers Which Are Not Too Expensive And Easy To Use?

Many Thanks
LAMBrose94

Bought a Halcyon Cinch. I got the wings, because I tried them and loved them! I was able to lose 4KG of weights and maintained really good trim.

I would have bought ANY wings, but got the Halcyon because the local dealer gave me a good price, and threw in a boat dive with three tanks.

I also bought a pair of Scubapro Jet Fins, because it give me more control (ie. able to move backwards) than my Twin Jet Max split fins.

I'm thinking about getting a scubapro first and second stage, because my stupid MARES setup needs special tools, and cannot be opened on a boat and adjusted (so I lost out on two dives on a boat trip, because a small problem could not be fixed on the spot)

This is a lot more basic and entry level than others on this thread, but I got the Tusa Selene BC, Tusa Element computer and Tusa reg/occy. I LOVED the Mares She Dives package on Leisure Pro, but couldn't get it serviced without great expense here as Mares doesn't honour warranties for gear bought online, so I ultimately went with a set-up which I could get serviced with free parts for five years. Have done about 20 dives with this gear, no complaints so far.

Also just today have bought a Nikon Coolpix with a Fantasea housing - my mothers day present to myself! Just want to be able to answer husband and kids when they ask "what did you see today?"

Last edited:
Ready for this? I have purchased a single pair of dive booties. I wanted a cheap pair, shoe height for warm water or pool.

I'm new to diving but as I'm going to be diving for 2-3 months this summer it probably pays off to get my own gear and get used to it from beginning. The shop (in Thailand) I'm going to be diving with offers Aqualung/Apeks stuff so I went with the brand but upgraded it slightly based on my research here at scubapro.com (THANKS) just to have something to grow into:

Apeks XTX50 (1st/2nd stage)/XTX40 octo
Zeagle Scout BCD
Tusa PG+DG
Tusa Powerview mask
Tusa snorkel
Bare Velocity 3/2 wetsuit

That's roughly $1,000 for everything above (thanks Leisurepro) and I got the most expensive stuff out of the way. I will buy a few more things but they aren't as expensive... The only other more expensive thing would be a computer but I want to learn diving with tables first and get one later...

Now, I just cannot wait to hit water... 3 more months:(

I picked up a pair of Rocket fins for $15 at the scuba swap, to use in the pool. They are just the right size that I can wear them without booties, which is convenient for pool work.

I went to Cozumel in March. Dive equipment was very heavy and limited packing options. I went to Scuba board and followed a thread on lighter weight equipment. I purchased a new Zeagle Express Tech BCD with all the options off of the opinions from that thread. I also purchased a used pair of force fin pro's fins from ebay with ideas off of a similar thread. I'll purchase a pair of dive slippers soon from my lds. I'll have cut almost 8 lbs. from my travel weight. My wife is going to go to a lighter weight fin and slipper, also. This should cut our dive equipment weight by 10 lbs. total. Any other ideas.

By the way, Zeagle Express had the lowest prices on the BCD and accessories that I found. The Express Tech is only 4.5 lbs and is rugged and well made. I can't wait to use it this summer.

This is a lot more basic and entry level than others on this thread, but I got the Tusa Selene BC, Tusa Element computer and Tusa reg/occy. I LOVED the Mares She Dives package on Leisure Pro, but couldn't get it serviced without great expense here as Mares doesn't honour warranties for gear bought online, so I ultimately went with a set-up which I could get serviced with free parts for five years. Have done about 20 dives with this gear, no complaints so far.

Hi Meggie, you definetly can't beat free parts for five years but where did you get the info that Mares doesn't honor warranties for online purchases? Leisure Pro is an authorized Mares dealer and the warranty should be honored at all Mares distributors.

Adam

So far:

Aqualung Zuma
Atomic B2 Reg - Z2 Octo
Ikelite Camera Case
Sea & Sea YS-01

On my radar in the next couple months:
Oxycheq Analyzer
XS HP 100 Tanks (2 of them)

I am sure I will be popping for a couple more this and that as well. I am a gear *****.

Back
Top Bottom