New Gear purchase - Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mheaster

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am not quite ready to drink the Purple Kool-Aid yet BUT recently I have been reading/researching an awful lot about DIR. Do-it-right title and philosophy sounds somewhat controversial and adversarial but that part aside, it is still very thought provoking.

I have a couple of the DIR Videos and I am FASCINATED by the buoyancy/trim skills demonstrated on these DVDS! Have you seen this stuff? I am currently a DM with the "P" organization and have around 190 logged dives and I am mostly fascinated in the emphasis in better buoyancy/trim! I am very envious of these demonstrated skilss on the videos!

I am quite fascinated by it all!

I am not ready yet to go out and sign up for a DIR-Fundamentals course quite yet but I am considering purchasing a BP/Wing set up.

What is DIR philosophy/stand concerning non-DIR's immulating gear configs (purchases and practicing) BEFORE attending Fundamentals TRAINING?

I am the type that even in trying something brand new, would prefer to practice in a benign, relatively safe shallow location such as pool/local quarry.
I am currently heading to High Springs, Fl at end of month and planning a stop by Extreme Esposure (Halcyon Dealer) while I am there. I am seriously contemplating the purchase of a Hose kit, SPG, BP/Wings:

(30lbs. Eclipse MC System with stainless steel backplate Single tank wing, Backplate with Secure Harness and Storage Pak, stainless steel Tank Adapter)

Am I on right track or lost my mind? What considerations should be taken into account in selecting Wing lift? I am 6'1" 223lbs 47 year old male; relatively fit (also starting to work on that!) currently wear about 16lbs of weight with my 7/5mm wetsuit and aluminum 80. I will likely continue to dive wetsuit and alum 80 for sometime yet. Maybe eventually buy another wing when I double up 80's iwhen/if more gas is required.

I was told before I took Fundies (by SB's lamont) to get, if possible, at least 20 dives in on the new gear before the class, and I was very glad of that advice when it came time to take the class. I don't think anybody has any problem with you getting the gear and getting familiar with it.

The skills are awesome -- and my Fundies instructor had them like that, too. But there's a lot more in the philosophy than just excellent skills or a particular gear configuration. If you are intrigued, I cannot recommend taking DIR-F highly enough.

I'm going to agree with TSANDM on this. You are about at the same place that I was when I changed to the B/P wing and took DIR F. you will find all you wan't to know @ EE. I think that the B/P & wing are awsome. Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom