New Gear and BP/W question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks,
I spent some time on the phone with Tobin and he steered me away from the integrated inflator/octo. I'll probably go with him since he spent an hour educating me.

First, congratulations at your decision to consider going into BP/W first. I made the switch only recently, as I wasn't even aware of BP/W setups existed when I bought my first BC a little over two years ago. Now that I have put the first ten dives on my BP/W setup, I am amazed at how much I have been missing. Right off the bat, I shaved ten (10!) pounds off my weight requirements, just for starters. And the enjoyment of the unrestricting feel of a Hogarthian harness doesn't stop there.

I had a similar experience with Tobin. I had called a different manufacturer where I was given every impression that the people there weren't interested in my business, but Tobin took the time to explain it all to me. I did end up buying his set-up, and when I compare it to for example Dive Rite, I find it hard to believe that I even considered that stuff before. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that one brand or setup is necessarily better than another, but the DSS BP/W beats everything I've seen in terms of ease of use and streamlined profile. With a DSS setup you don't have to spend big bucks on a cumbersome piece of metal called a single tank adapter, and everything is really thought out well and snaps into place. I have compared pretty much every BP and W on the market and the DSS BPs appear to me as the ones with the best craftsmanship. They are the only ones whose webbing slots are rubberized, which I first thought was a useless gimmick, but after a friend and DiveRite user showing me her webbing that is totally chafed and about to fall apart from rubbing at the slots, I was a believer in the rubberized slots. If you don't plan on doing any double tank diving soon, don't go over 30 pounds of lift with your wing. I found it to be more than plenty, even with a very thick suit. I see those people diving singles with their 40-lbs wings flopping all over the place and it just makes me sad. Can't go wrong with your DSS setup!

I have swivels on my Atomic B2 reg hoses, and they've never given me problems.

The swivel on the Atomics is a factory feature. The Swivels I'm referencing are after market add ons.

There have been failures and recalls of these after market parts.

Tobin

The swivel on the Atomics is a factory feature. The Swivels I'm referencing are after market add ons.

There have been failures and recalls of these after market parts.

Tobin
Yes, I realize that. I've seen the recalls on the non-Atomic swivels, as well.

Further, I agree with you in general about swivels, and haven't found the swivel on the B2 to be that much of an improvement (other than adjusting how the reg lays in the gear bag)... which is why I suggested Miflex. More jaw pressure alleviated, than what I've experienced with the swivel.

I like DSS and OMS backplates. I have several different types of wings, depending on the rig I'm diving (right now an Oxycheq wing for rebreathers). I'd skip the SS1, even though I'm a fan of them, if you're going the route of technical diving. There isn't a "best" bp/w setup, it's a matter of the type of diving you'll be doing and your personal preferences. See if you can find someone to let you dive their rig and you'll know more when you go to make your choices. Really, a bp/w configuration is just the basis for a seemingly limitless set of ways to arrange your rig.

Hi,
Tobin steered me to a 26lb wing for myself and a 20lb wing for my wife, we'll be heading to a local gathering on the 14th to meet with some people that offered to help me set up and configure our rigs.

Thanks Funky!
"Really, a bp/w configuration is just the basis for a seemingly limitless set of ways to arrange your rig."
.:D

Cool Hardware,

Very good looking swivel. I know many people who share your sentiments. In fact I know some Instructors who won't use a Delta 4 becasue it has a swivel. I myself well not haveing your background or # of dives, have yet to have a problem with my swivels.

I wish I had read scubaboard first and information these people have given you. I bought a Zeagle ranger LTD, and while it really is that good of a BCD I have decided to go another route in diving. Now I need to sell it and go with more modular system ie BP/W. Glad to see you are making wise choices earlier on in the buying game.

Thanks,
I spent some time on the phone with Tobin and he steered me away from the integrated inflator/octo. I'll probably go with him since he spent an hour educating me.

Tobin rocks. I was in the market a year ago for a BP/W, knew nothing about them, and spent an hour or so with him then placed an order after the conversation. I didn't feel an overwhelming happiness about any of the other manufacturers at the time like I did with DSS. Instantly, the first dive, my bouyancy, comfort, and enjoyment of the dive improved dramatically in ways I'd of never imagined.

I took 8 lbs off my belt. Also, I purchased the BP/w blind. Never tried one before but it turned out to ne one of the best gear decisions I ever made. Now, if only I can get my wife to approve the DataMask.

When I go doubles, it'll be Tobin I call, not anyone else.

Thanks,
Shawn

Last edited:
Update - I dove with the set up in Cozumel all last week, 11 dives in all. My weight dropped from 12 lbs with a bcd to 5 lbs with the BP/W, my wife dropped a similar amount on her rig. The increase in my bouyancy control was amazing and my ability to navigate tight spots was likewise much improved.

I felt like a new diver. Two thumbs up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom