New Garmin Dive Computer: Descent G1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should be able to do it in the same way as the Mk1.

There are two methods:
1) connect the G1 to the USB cable and make sure your computer sees it as a drive/filesystem. Then use the Import from dive computer function (try using Garmin Mk1) and point to the watch as the mount point

2) Download the activity from Garmin Connect to a folder called Activity inside a folder called Garmin. Unzip it the file then use the Import from dive computer function (try using Garmin Mk1) and point to the parent folder of Garmin\Activity

I use the second method with my Mk1 and it works fine.
Excellent info, thanks ATJ. Do you get the same amount of dive data when using method 2 versus method 1?

Excellent info, thanks ATJ. Do you get the same amount of dive data when using method 2 versus method 1?
The information is identical.

So basically, all the data is stored in a FIT file in the Activity folder on the device. When you sync, that FIT file gets uploaded to and interpreted by the Garmin cloud. When you "Export original" you are doing exactly that, exporting the original FIT file that was uploaded (only it has been ZIPPED and you need to UNZIP it).

I should add a couple of points.

Method 2 is basically simulating Method 1. Making it look like it is reading the FIT file from the device rather than the filesystem of the computer. This is why it works.

One difference between the 2 methods is the filenames of the FIT files are different. On the device itself they are basically the date/time of the activity. Obviously, this would not be unique in Garmin Cloud as lots of people could start activities at the same time. Once uploaded to Garmin Cloud the filename is changed to some unique number, which is also the activity identifier in Connect.

For example, my most recent dive is 8359862111. If I export that file, it comes down as 8359862111.zip. When I unzip it, it will be 8359862111_ACTIVITY.fit

While the contents of the files are identical, the difference in the filenames can confuse Subsurface. If you only ever use Method 1 or Method 2, you won't have any problems at all because the filenames will sort into the order of the activities. However, if you switch between the two methods, Subsurface can't track which dives have already been loaded and which haven't as it tracks the file names.

So, if you switch between both methods, you need to select "Force download of all dives" and then deselect the ones you already have.

Any experience with readability underwater? Saw one video it looked really crisp for black/white? Really thinking about selling new MK1 and get this, just not sure if that would be a downgrade in backup computer.

It’s not specifically listed on the Garmin website, but seeing that this watch is a Garmin Instinct with dive software and sensor, this watch might work well with the new Garmin In Reach Mini 2 in terms of receiving notifications and navigational data, since the Instinct already does.

It’s not specifically listed on the Garmin website, but seeing that this watch is a Garmin Instinct with dive software and sensor, this watch might work well with the new Garmin In Reach Mini 2 in terms of receiving notifications and navigational data, since the Instinct already does.
There is an InReach remote function that you can add to the G1. It lets you send SOS, messages and initiate tracking from the watch.

There is an InReach remote function that you can add to the G1. It lets you send SOS, messages and initiate tracking from the watch.
That would be great if it works with the mini in the case so now fumbling around to get it out

That would be great if it works with the mini in the case so now fumbling around to get it out
All the decents can run the mini just like an iPhone for the most part.

I got one not so much for dive functions (perdix works great, better for my eyes) but for smartwatch, fitness etc.

One thing i do like is the gps tracking. If i want to mark a location durig a dive i can send the watch up on a small float and the spot will be recorded. I had to add a small weight to the bottom of the float to ensure the watch gets above the surface. Worked great in testing. Will try in the real world shortly.

How reliable is a 3-axis compass like the one on this model? I'm looking to finally buy myself a dive computer as a novice diver (19 dives) and would like something that includes a compass but isn't really expensive, but I've mostly read that you can't trust digital compasses.

Back
Top Bottom