New Garmin Dive Computer: Descent G1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why do you really need AI?
'Cause no SPG ....

Yes, I thought about a Peregrine as a backup but instead opted for a second Perdix AI.

Might make for an interesting clip-to-BCD as an OMG-my-primary-Perdix-died-and-thankfully-I-still-have-my-backup-Perdix, but really really want a backup backup so I can confidently continue this two week livaboard trip....

Seriously, no SPG. Well, a small one that lives in the SAD kit and is to hopefully never ever get wet.

OMMOHY

I'm considering one as a backup to my perdix and a workout watch for the pool.

Not sure about Garmin, but every time I try a "solar powered" small device, it technically works, but takes forever. There just isn't enough surface area to collect.

I've an ancient casio tough solar from 2006 -- the last watch I ever bought -- that still runs, sort of. The battery is dead, the replacement costs more than a new watch, and I don't wear watches anyway, but it's still ticking.

Has anyone gotten one of these yet?

Has anyone gotten one of these yet?
I picked up the Garmin Descent G1 Solar this week. I had been looking at fitness trackers, liked the Garmin Impact and was willing to pay the premium for the Descent Solar. It will be in daily use as a fitness tracker mostly for bicycling and kayaking. For my twice a year dive vacations, it will be a backup to my Aqualung. If I can figure out how to sync the G1 to Subsurface, it will become my primary DC.

The 45 mm watch face is smaller and thinner than the Descent MK series DCs. The user interface is fairly straight forward. I like the double tap ability to switch screens in Dive Mode. Otherwise it is a very 'robust' interface with many options for sports and activities.

If anyone has suggestions for getting dive data from the watch to Subsurface, I would appreciate some pointers.

Hows it working as a fitness tracker?

Hows it working as a fitness tracker?
It's working very well. I like that I can broadcast heart rate to my smart trainer software and to my on-bike GPS. It also acts as a backup for the times that my on-bike GPS battery dies. I've been a Garmin Connect user for years to track my mileage and stats so this just adds more data points.

The G1 also can track Pulse OX levels. I've got it set up to track it while I sleep. I've never tracked sleep patterns before so that's been interesting. Glad to see my fitness age, according to Garmin, is more than 10 years younger than my real age!

If anyone has suggestions for getting dive data from the watch to Subsurface, I would appreciate some pointers.
You may be the first to try. There is a post earlier in this thread from Dirkh that mentions that the upload to Subsurface should be the same as the other Descent models, so if the G1 isn’t listed yet, it should be supported.

Also, I seem to recall in an earlier thread that Garmin wouldn’t allow Bluetooth transfer into Subsurface. So, syncing to Subsurface-Mobile directly doesn’t seem like it is possible. Should be able to see the logged data, though via cloud sync.

Browsing through the Subsurface support forum indicates that downloading to Subsurface on a Windows machine may be tricky. Seems to be easier on a Mac.

I have a new MK1 I might sell and get one of these as back up instead. It seems more durable for the backcountry trips I use to pair with my mini.

You should be able to do it in the same way as the Mk1.

There are two methods:
1) connect the G1 to the USB cable and make sure your computer sees it as a drive/filesystem. Then use the Import from dive computer function (try using Garmin Mk1) and point to the watch as the mount point

2) Download the activity from Garmin Connect to a folder called Activity inside a folder called Garmin. Unzip it the file then use the Import from dive computer function (try using Garmin Mk1) and point to the parent folder of Garmin\Activity

I use the second method with my Mk1 and it works fine.

Back
Top Bottom