New Fuji camera- Fujifilm Finepix S6000fd / S6500fd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very intriguing. High points:f11 in both wide and tele, 1/1.7 ccd, JPEG or RAW, custom WB, .35 sec rapid shooting mode,1/3200 shutter speed, 4 aa batteries, 10x optical zoom, price is about $400. Low points: It's big, couldn't tell if it shoots full manual or not.
Generally, it looks a lot like the Oly SP-510. I haven't seen any reports on people shooting that one underwater. I'd be really interested to see how both of them work, and how they compare.

High points:f11 in both wide and tele,

I haven't read the review but this isn't totally helpful as a "better" mark of a good lens is how it operates at the wide end of the aperture range. I don't think there's going to be a truckload of difference between the f8 of most compacts and f11 on this one. F8 give such a nice DOF on the current compacts it will indeed be interesting to see what f11 offers. Lenses that work with wider apertures (think 1.4 - 2.8) are "faster" and offer better options in lower light so I would rather see the information on what apertures are available at full tele (where usually you lose those wide open apertures).

alcina:
Lenses that work with wider apertures (think 1.4 - 2.8) are "faster" and offer better options in lower light so I would rather see the information on what apertures are available at full tele (where usually you lose those wide open apertures).
f4.9 at full tele

The lens is kind of long for UW use. For all that it costs and cost to house, I think a DSLR, even a Canon 350 or Nikon D70 is a much better value.

I do love the Fuji sensor, though.

Jack

32.gif

I still believe the pop-up flash on Fuji cameras is a drawback. You cannot take a non-strobe photo with the flash popped up. You have to close it first. This can be a nuisance underwater.

If you are using the Inon strobe system with the fiber optic cable you can take a non-strobe photo with the cameras flash up/on because the film strip over the flash supresses the cameras flash enough so as not to show in the photo. However, you have to turn the Inon strobe off to prevent it from firing, also a nuisance as well as an added drain on the batteries.

Another drawback is Fuji uses XD cards. Currently only the 1 GIG card is available in high speed. This will not allow for enough images on a dive in RAW.

Interesting camera, and some features almost had me considering it as an upgrade from my S80. But I really hate XD cards. And while the camera is amazingly reasonably priced, the housing (if someone makes one) is going to cost a small fortune. And more importantly, given that, no way I would sink that kind of money into something that doesn't have TTL.

I don't think there were UW housings available for its predecessors, was there?

I shot my C5060(5mp) quite well with a one gig card, the slower ones at that. I wouldn't reconsider this camera for that reason - if you want faster write times, dSLR would be a better option anyway.

On land, I found f8 not to be enough at times - ick. Nice to see a prosumer PnS with a smaller aperture.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom