Buying new camera Fuji vs Sony vs canon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To be honest, as this is your first foray into underwater photography I would probably go with a Oly TG-6 with a housing and strobe, or a PL10 with interchangeable lenses and a good upgrade path: both are suitable for the subjects you suggest and have a lot of online documentation to help you develop your photography and get the photos you want.

Setting up the cameras you mentioned won't leave much change from $5000-6000, and you can take exactly the same photo with any of the options I mention.

Cheers,
Rohan.

I will give another summary based on my experiences in down sizing over the years......

Macro and SUPER Macro as a prime interest? The Olympus TG-6 is pretty stellar even shooting the camera's little built in flash with several prize winners in big contests to prove it for that purpose.

General shooting like fish, dive buddies and wide angle shots - Either a Sony RX100 VA or VII or Canon G7X II / III choices. You can add lower cost wide angle wet lenses to these and have flexibility in a larger 1" sensor than the Olympus TG-6.

Housings - If set on aluminum yes, Nauticam is great but Marelux recently debuted new compact housings for the Olympus TG-6 and Sony RX100 VII. I used a Sony RX100 VII in a Fantasea housing for whales in Moorea plus my tried and true Canon G7X II in a Fantasea housing which I still own.

Many only want a metal housing. For me after 1,000 + dives using Fantasea housings all over the world I think they're fine.

The Olympus branded TG-6 housing (PT-59) is made by AOI in China same factory as Fantasea housings. Only drawback to the Olympus PT-59 housing is it has a single back o-ring where Fantasea have 2 o-rings. I don't think the PT-59 housing hasn't been updated to a vacuum system option like on the newest Fantasea housings.

Last choice is strobe(s) or maybe a video light.

Strobe lit pics for stills have punch to them but you'll need more NIMH batteries, charger, tray, arm, optical cord(s), etc. I've shot with one single small Inon S2000 strobe mounted on my Fantasy housing's cold shoe and no tray and was happy with pictures I produced.

Being extremely lazy and wanting to enjoy my dives I continually look for how to take less in the water and travel with so there's that consideration.

Jason Bourne in those movies saves the world traveling with a small gym bag and is my hero :)

Good luck on your choices!

David Haas

Sorry for this post.

Wrong discussion as I got this mixed with someone wanting to only go with a small compact system.......

The Sony, I have the NA6400, does not have a true fisheye lens. If you go with the Sony and you want wide angle and enjoy close focus wide angle then you will need the WWL-1.

This isn't 100% true. While there does not exist a native Sony lens, You can easily shoot a canon mount Tokina 10-17 with an adapter, and it's one of the best UW fisheye lenses.

I shoot an a6100 in an a6400 housing, with the tokina and a Zen minidome and it works perfectly. CFWA, great zoom usage, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom