Buying new camera Fuji vs Sony vs canon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What housing is the big question?

Depends: what sort of photography do you prefer (macro, wide, action, etc) and what lens do you need to achieve it?

Once you specify a lens, we can discuss housings, lighting, accessories and, lastly and least importantly, the camera.

Housing is going to be nauticam.
Lenses I thought had to be selected after you picked the camera

Housing is going to be nauticam.
Lenses I thought had to be selected after you picked the camera?

By choosing a lens, you are being asked what kind of photography are you interested in?

The Sony, I have the NA6400, does not have a true fisheye lens. If you go with the Sony and you want wide angle and enjoy close focus wide angle then you will need the WWL-1. The Sony pancake 16mm with fisheye converter works okay with the six inch dome when stopped down to at least f8 or higher preferably, but has a tendency to show corner distortion which may or may not be important. And then you need a powerful set of strobes like the Inon Z330 (or new model not yet released). IMO, the Sony and in general larger format cameras, suck at macro. But you can do macro, with the Nauticam macro wet lens converters and you need a couple of strong strobes to use f8 to f16 to get some depth of field to work with and get a dark background. I basically suck at it. The Sony system is a good general purpose camera. If you want a zoom fisheye capability you will need to go Olympus OM M4:3. Another thing about Sony, that damn 1/160 max sync speed can be a challenge to get the sun ball under control and you cannot kill the pre-flash in Sony A series cameras, may or may not be an issue, I have found it no big deal overall and started taking advantage of sTTL auto flash control with camera in Manual mode.

I do not see that the Fuji is supported by Nauticam which is why I asked about housings.

I will add one other thing now, the Sony and Nauticam allows back button focus set up. It is a game changer separating focus from shutter on individual controls eliminating any focus lag.

Its best to start by considering what lens you need to get the photos you want.

For instance - I do a lot of wide-angle photography. Neither Sony or Fuji have a fisheye lens. I can however use an adaptor on the Sony that allows me to fit a canon/nikon/oly fish eye, but to do so I then need to consider what housings will allow this modification...

The camera is just a sensor - a light bucket. As you will likely be shooting manual and hopefully using RAW files 90% of a cameras features are irreverent underwater. The only camera features that matter to me are layout/ability to customize, flash sync speed and focus performance. In that regard I suspect the sony has better focus performance.

So back to you: what sort of photography do you do?

Cheers
Rohan.

Its best to start by considering what lens you need to get the photos you want.

For instance - I do a lot of wide-angle photography. Neither Sony or Fuji have a fisheye lens. I can however use an adaptor on the Sony that allows me to fit a canon/nikon/oly fish eye, but to do so I then need to consider what housings will allow this modification...

The camera is just a sensor - a light bucket. As you will likely be shooting manual and hopefully using RAW files 90% of a cameras features are irreverent underwater. The only camera features that matter to me are layout/ability to customize, flash sync speed and focus performance. In that regard I suspect the sony has better focus performance.

So back to you: what sort of photography do you do?

Cheers
Rohan.
I would like to be able to take pictures of shipwrecks / turtles / sharks

Don’t know if I’d be able to get the seahorses and nudibranchs with the above .. so I guess more macro .
Other than a go pro used during spear fishing this is my first real attempt in underwater photography.

My gf and I have a couple of really cool big trips coming up and really want to capitalize on opportunity and saving really awesome memories.

I have found where nauticam does make a housing for the fujifilm xt 5 .. but I am clueless on the lens selections

Topside my ventures in photography have been mostly action shots while my dogs are working and have dabbled into Timelapse astrophotography

I do not see a Nauticam housing for the Fuji on this current page:

https://www.nauticam.com/collections/mirrorless-il-camera-housings.

So which is it, macro, wide angle or both? The A6600 can do both reasonably well with the WWL-1 for wide angle and the CMC-1 or 2 for macro both using the supplied kit lens.

I am going to recommend for you, as a stepping stone, the Olympus TG-6 with a Nauticam housing possibly. I really dislike the cheapo plastic housings that come with the compact camies. I have had several such and they all were limiting and kind of junky but saying that at least two of my buddies have the TG-6 Oly housing and love them and take great photos and I mean great!

You are looking at at least $5,000+ to step into a Sony 6600 and Nauticam with camera lenses, wet lenses for wide angle and macro, ports and strobes and a video light (if you do that sort of thing).

I do not see a Nauticam housing for the Fuji on this current page:

https://www.nauticam.com/collections/mirrorless-il-camera-housings.

So which is it, macro, wide angle or both? The A6600 can do both reasonably well with the WWL-1 for wide angle and the CMC-1 or 2 for macro both using the supplied kit lens.

I am goung to recommend for you, as a stepping stone, the Olympus TG-6 with a Nauticam housing possibly. I really dislike the cheapo plastic housings that come with the compact camies. I have had several such and they all were limiting and kind of junky but saying that at least two of my buddies have the TG-6 Oly housing and love them and take great photos and I mean great!

You are looking at at least $5,000+ to step into a Sony 6600 and Nauticam with camera lenses, wet lenses for wide angle and macro, ports and strobes and a video light (if you do that sort of thing).
I would like the ability to do both if that’s even feasible.

Not sure if it is pending release or if I’m getting scammed but here is where I saw the other housing

I would like the ability to do both if that’s even feasible.

Not sure if it is pending release or if I’m getting scammed but here is where I saw the other housing

Hmmm, I know Nauticam dropped several housings of recent times including mine. Maybe Blue Water has some in stock?

Yes, it is feasible to do both maro and wide angle but not generally with the same lens/port. The Sony Nauticam can do macro and wide angle on the same port with the standard kit zoom lens. I am not taking away what I said earlier, the Sony has no available purpose made or zoom fisheye lens. And you will need strong strobes to allow use of f11-f22 to get some depth of field (on any APS-C, full frame camera format).

Underwater photography can be a challenge and frustrating. No camera made is ideal and all are a series of compromises since none are specifically designed for that mission but adapted to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom