New, from texas. looking for advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, I don't know if the Flower Gardens is good, it's tough diving, but it's like the Blue Lagoon. When it's good (July-September) it's magical. I ran a liveaboard there for 11 years.

@gonefishin welcome to SB. BTW, I live an hour drive south from Houston. There is a local dive club, https://www.chumclub.org if you want to meet some divers nearby.

I went diving a few times with @Wookie when he & Melanie still have Spree liveaboard to Flower Garden & Dry Tortugas. Back then there were 2 liveaboards docking in Freeport, TX & going to Flower Garden, the Spree & the Fling Charters. Now it's only the Fling.

The dock is only 15 minute drive from where I live & the trip is a weekend tour, leaving on Friday evening & returning on Sunday afternoon. So, I go there almost every year, in fact I already book for the 19th - 21st of May trip, if the weather is cooperating. Half of the time the trip may be cancelled due to bad weather.

@gonefishin welcome to SB. BTW, I live an hour drive south from Houston. There is a local dive club, https://www.chumclub.org if you want to meet some divers nearby.

I went diving a few times with @Wookie when he & Melanie still have Spree liveaboard to Flower Garden & Dry Tortugas. Back then there were 2 liveaboards docking in Freeport, TX & going to Flower Garden, the Spree & the Fling Charters. Now it's only the Fling.

The dock is only 15 minute drive from where I live & the trip is a weekend tour, leaving on Friday evening & returning on Sunday afternoon. So, I go there almost every year, in fact I already book for the 19th - 21st of May trip, if the weather is cooperating. Half of the time the trip may be cancelled due to bad weather.

I just read through the Fling FAQ and have a couple of questions. First, how rough are the seas getting to and hanging around the dive locations? I am prone to motion sickness, so I would need to take medication. Also, as a new diver is this something that I should consider next year after I get a few more dives under my belt? Also, I could not find the costs associated with the weekend trips. Any insight into costs?

Thanks.
Greg

Fling will run in up to 6 foot seas and 20 knots of wind. It can get rough as a cob. Start your meclazine/dramamine/Transderm scop patch 12 hours ahead of time.

As far as diver experience goes. I have seen more than one diver quit diving after a ride to the Flower Gardens. I have seen divers who finished their certification in the Blue Lagoon in Huntsville at the Flower Gardens the next weekend. Currents range from nothing to 2 knots, they will call the dive if it's stronger than that. It is not a beginner location except when it is. It is beautiful, though. I would never go back except for hurricane season.

As far as price goes, look on a sponsoring shop's website. Sea Sports Scuba runs more trips there than anyone.

Didn't mean for it to sound that way, but it isn't for everyone. Adventurers have a great time. Those looking for a guaranteed experience would do much better in Bonaire.

It's $585 for Air & $650 for Nitrox on my 5/19-21 trip.

The trip would be cancelled if waves >6'. I won't dive at that condition either.

It's deep (>70') dives. So, I won't recommend for beginners.

Getting into the water will be a 6-8' jump with giant stride. Getting onto the boat is more tricky. They'll provide you with a rope with a loop at the end to hold on with one hand / arm (let's say the right hand), while removing your right fin with your left hand and strap the fin over your left arm. Then you switch hand / arm to hold on the looped rope with your left hand, while you remove the left fin with your right hand and strap the fin over your right arm. Then start pulling yourself towards the boat once the DM give you a sign to proceed. Make sure you keep your mask & regulator on while you are in the water. The ladder could be bouncing up & down with the wave. So, when you got close to the ladder, you can look underwater to see where it is at that time to stick one of your feet onto the rung before it hits your shin.

Last edited:
OK, that is def outside my interest right now. Maybe some day in the future, but I need more relaxed dives under my belt before I get that far.

OK, that is def outside my interest right now. Maybe some day in the future, but I need more relaxed dives under my belt before I get that far.

I'd recommend Key Largo, diving in sites like City of Washington, French Reef, John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, where you can see “Christ of the Abyss”, etc., would be a good start for the beginners.

The trip would be cancelled if waves >6'. I won't dive at that condition either.

Trip decision is based on forcast data. Your dive decision can be made any time before you jump. After that, the seas don't really matter. You still have to climb that ladder. Gets interesting when that ladder is alternating between completely submerged and gone. Then you need good timing and a bit of luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom