New Fish ID Book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDiveMaui

Registered
Reaction score
Wow!!!

I just got my copy of John Hoover's newest book: The Ultimate Guide to HAWAIIAN REEF FISHES, Sea Turtles, Dolphins, Whales and Seals

What a fantastic resource & a fun read!!!

Not only does it offer fish identification information, pictures of the various stages of different species, but also behavioral information, Hawaiian legends, anecdotal stories from divers and fisherman, and much more!

Kudos to John Hoover!

Victoria

Last edited:
I have the old book and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!! Looks like I'm going to have to get the new one when we're on Maui next month. :D :D :D

Thanks for the heads up!

The photos are better and the text is better. And the print/color quality of this run is better than the last batch printed.

This book includes many species omitted from previous books, has more in-depth descriptions, and a better selection of photos of various stages of development, color variations, and species interactions... and that's just the photos!

It also includes new information - scientific, behavioral, anecdotal, & incorporates hawaii legends.

I think the concept of this book was to go beyond a basic ID book... this moves more toward detailed information, and in depth observation... more of an educational slant.

It's my understanding that it's not a replacement for the ID book, which will continue to be printed. This book is intended to stand on its own.

Worth checking out! Two thumbs WAY Up!

The photos are better and the text is better. And the print/color quality of this run is better than the last batch printed.

This book includes many species omitted from previous books, has more in-depth descriptions, and a better selection of photos of various stages of development, color variations, and species interactions... and that's just the photos!

It also includes new information - scientific, behavioral, anecdotal, & incorporates hawaii legends.

I think the concept of this book was to go beyond a basic ID book... this moves more toward detailed information, and in depth observation... more of an educational slant.

It's my understanding that it's not a replacement for the ID book, which will continue to be printed. This book is intended to stand on its own.

Worth checking out! Two thumbs WAY Up!
Check out his site for the photos of the pages. That is my kind of advertizing - got me sold.

Love the CostCo mention. This guy IS Hawaii, divers, snorklers, goodness knows what else!

Last edited:
It is my favorite book as well! I've tried other fish id books to aid me when I brief my divers and have found his to work the best for me. I've been using it on a daily basis for 4 years! Didn't know a new edition was out, though...I'll have to go check it out. Love the detailed info and the pics are usually great as well. Thanks for the heads up!

Oh yes, and if you liked the fish book, you'll also like the invertebrate book - another one of my faves! It is quite a bit more expensive but well worth it as there is even more detailed info and pics.

Back
Top Bottom