Best Fish ID Book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pclark2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What would people suggest is the best fish ID book for Indonesia, especially Raja Ampat? I already own a copy of Reef Fish Identification Tropical Pacific 1st Edition. I know the 2nd edition made many improvements, but don't know if there is something even better out there. I wasn't a fan of the 1st edition Tropical Pacific for use in French Polynesia or Hawaii (Hawaii was especially bad), but I love their Caribbean version.

Thank you!

Well, you asked.
Reef Fishes of the East Indies: Gerald Robert Allen, Mark V. Erdmann: 9780987260000: Amazon.com: Books
There is an Android app based on it that I have, and supposedly an iOS app that I've never seen.
Reef Fishes of East Indies App Updated and Now Available for Android

I'm not sure the apps are still available from Google and Apple, but you may be able to find the apk for Android, for example at Download Reef Fishes of the East Indies Latest version apk | androidappsapk.co.
Wow thank you. Especially for the app part, since yeah that book is a bit pricey.

Oh, and I love your username. I've seen your posts around before and I always want to comment when I see it. My first job involved photo and video worth with Tursiops truncatus. Now sadly I just do computer work for an association in a landlocked city.

Wow thank you. Especially for the app part, since yeah that book is a bit pricey.

Oh, and I love your username. I've seen your posts around before and I always want to comment when I see it. My first job involved photo and video worth with Tursiops truncatus. Now sadly I just do computer work for an association in a landlocked city.
Thanks.
Mind you, the apk is almost 4GB, so it truly eats up space on your device. And the UI is a bit obscure...but it is worth it.

Sadly I can't seem to find a working link for the APK thus far. Haven't given up the search yet. And as for size, that is what I love about having a 64GB microsd card and very few apps installed :)

Just saw- you already have pretty much the best book for sure.

Hello everyone
I am trying to find the download link for the Android version,, but I have no luck, and I cant find it even in the APK , I would love some help
thanks in advance
Patrick

Hello everyone
I am trying to find the download link for the Android version,, but I have no luck, and I cant find it even in the APK , I would love some help
thanks in advance
Patrick
I ended up reaching out the creators of the app and found out they had pulled the Android version but are working on updating it and will post on Facebook once it is available again here: Reef Fishes of the East Indies

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom