New Fish at CSSP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cruiser

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Did anyone else see it?

On my dive Friday, it was hanging out near the wall just west of Sisco. Kind of timid, still getting used to the new environment. Looks like it came from a commercial aquarium. Seems to be old, had a couple scars.

It's bigger than any fish I've seen out there, but don't know what it is.

We saw a couple of Pacus/Fruit Piranhas in Santa Rosa's Blue Hole once - got a pic of one of them even tho they were shy. A recent news story has been circulating the worn out hoax lately of them being testicle eaters - blah! They do outgrow aquariums quickly tho. I used to keep one in a 220 gallon. Oh, the Blue Hole Pacus vanished - probably didn't find enough to eat.

On this dive I didn't have my camera so no pictures.

I looked up pacus/fruit piranhas and that wasn't the fish I saw. I'll keep browing fish ID pics and see if I recognize it.

How about a carp or gar, I have never seen one there but maybe.

On this dive I didn't have my camera so no pictures.
I try to never leave the house or enter water in that condition. :sad:

I looked up pacus/fruit piranhas and that wasn't the fish I saw. I'll keep browing fish ID pics and see if I recognize it.
I suspect it one of many fishes sold as aquarium pets without warning that it will need a huge tank when grown, then got released - as is common with Pacus, Oscars, Giant Gouramis, etc.

Did anyone else see it?

On my dive Friday, it was hanging out near the wall just west of Sisco. Kind of timid, still getting used to the new environment. Looks like it came from a commercial aquarium. Seems to be old, had a couple scars.

It's bigger than any fish I've seen out there, but don't know what it is.

Well I can't say that I saw the fish of which you speak, but I was out there Friday and was around Cisco on Dive #2. I wish I would have known you were there and I would have dropped in to say hello. :)

Last edited:
Well I can't say that I saw the fish of which you speak, but I was out there Friday and was around Cisco on Dive #2. I wish I would have know you were there and I would have dropped in to say hello. :)

Maybe next time :)

I need to make it up there sometime to check it out. Heard good things but have yet to make it up that way.

-E

-E

This time of year it's bathtub warm on the surface, and viz isn't too bad :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom