New fin recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since you like your Novas - is there a way to move some of your weights lower towards your feet? My BCD has pockets that are lower than most and hang about 6 inches below the main weight pouches. Moving just a single pound from each of the weight pouched to the lower pocket makes a noticeable difference in trim for me.

If tis is possible, I'd try it before ankle weights. It will be much more convenient.

You have jets why not use those?
They're super heavy - not great for travel, and my feet felt way too heavy when I wore them before. Even with my 5mil floaty boots in them, they sink like a rock.

Why do you want to be vertical during your safety stop? Being flat or a little head down makes it easier to control your position in the water column with your fins if need be.
I don't necessarily want to be vertical (like all the cool kids), but when horizontal on a safety stop my fin tips end up above my head and I begin to ascend, so I end up swimming down again.

Finning already uses enough energy without going backwards with heavy fins and ankle weights.
Lower the weight positioning in your bc Kimela, put some of your weight on a belt
While diving a Zena the weight pouches are at or slightly below my natural waistline (and doesn't shift with a crotch strap), so adding weight onto a belt wouldn't change anything. But thanks for the idea.

the RK3's would be a good choice. Same power as the Eddy's but a wee bit heavier.

Fin selection can be influenced heavily by weighting method selection. I have found that with a 5lb BP, 1 lb STA, weight belt, and some weight in lower tank strap trim pockets, I can trim out nicely with Deep 6 Eddy fins in a dry suit in cold water. But I make a conscious effort to put lead as low on my body as possible.

Keeping weights low in sidemount also allows me to dive in cold water in a drysuit with Eddy fins.

However, even with keeping weights low in weight pouches between my cylinders in a twinset, even with Hollis F1s I have difficulty not being head heavy (yes, yes, I know, when you are as dense as me, it does affect your trim).

I'm still messing around with my CC cold water configuration (I have a 10 lb BP now to reduce the amount of weight in the pouches needed). As I'll be adding a SS stand that will allow me to attach 2 more cylinders potentially, it will move the center of gravity further down, so I may need to stop using my Hollis F1s but instead use Deep 6 Eddy fins (which is what I'm hoping for, as I like my fins to not be black).

I hope this rambling provides some help for the OP.

Hi @Kimela

Why would you be able to hold horizontal on a stop but not be able to swim horizonal on swim throughs...? Maybe you are anxious about the dives that give you trouble and you are taking on more gas than is usual. That might make you floaty, feet or not.

1634247921093.png

Malpelo, July 2021

My wife has a short torso and longer legs which is conducive to floaty feet and she is 5'3". She uses a BP/W with weight pockets attached to the BP for dumpable weight which helps with trim and Mares Avanti Quattro on her feet. She has no issues with trim. It might be your weight distribution, build and floaty fin/boots

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom