New fin recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buoyancy tests on fins, including deep 6

Wow! Thank you for sharing these videos. Very interesting. I'm going to go fill up my tub to see what happens with my boots and my fins, and the boots/fins combo.

My issue is that the Novas are a bit on the positively buoyant side and my feet get floaty. On safety stops I can't stay in a vertical position - even when I'm grossly overweighted, my feet want to go above my head.
Why do you want to be vertical during your safety stop? Being flat or a little head down makes it easier to control your position in the water column with your fins if need be.

Tell me more ... about the trim issue ...
Just like you have a center of gravity, you have a center of buoyancy. The problem you are having is that you have too much weight on the head side of the center and not enough on the foot side.

If you move some weight down toward your hips that may help... it would be easier to provide some advice if you'd post what kit you are diving(i.e. what BC, exposure protection), how much weight you're using and where you are putting the weight on your kit/body.

Just like you have a center of gravity, you have a center of buoyancy. The problem you are having is that you have too much weight on the head side of the center and not enough on the foot side.

If you move some weight down toward your hips that may help... it would be easier to provide some advice if you'd post what kit you are diving(i.e. what BC, exposure protection), how much weight you're using and where you are putting the weight on your kit/body.
Got it.

First, I just filled our wash tub and took videos of my Sea Novas floating to the top. Then my boots - which I thought would sink since they have 400 dives on them, but they floated rather quickly. When I added the two together they floated to the top rather quickly. Then I got out my ScubaPro Jets and they sunk like a rock. When I added my boots they still sunk pretty quickly.

So I think you're right - and I'm right. What is effecting my trim is really floaty feet, as my fins AND boots are adding a significant amount of buoyancy at my feet. Ankle weights might be the answer. I need to compensate not only for my fins but also for the boots. I don't want to be as negatively buoyant in my feet as I would be with the Jets, and not as positively buoyant as with my Novas. Call me Goldilocks.

For reference, this last trip I was diving in rash guards with my 5mil boots; a Zeagle Zena BC; AL80's; and carrying 4 pounds in weight pockets and use a crotch strap to keep everything in place. On static dives (no current) I was able to hover horizontally about 3 feet above the sandy bottom - not moving forward or backward - and rise and lower about 2 ft using just my breath (I tested to make sure I could do this well). Based on that, I think my weighting and trim is good. On static safety stops I could stay at 15 ft in the horizontal position without having to fin (same as on the bottom). The trouble comes when on a safety stop in current and in swim-thrus. I know I'm correctly weighted because when I finish my safety stop and am at the surface, even with <1000psi, I still sink when I release air and breathe out and can still descend.

EDIT: I just put a one pound weight in my boot and it sunk. Then I put the weighted boot into my Nova and the foot portion sunk while the tips floated to the surface. FWIW.

We put one of Roger's Quattros in the water and it was neutrally buoyant. With his neoprene boots (not sure if they're 3 or 5mil) they floated.

Tell me more ... about the trim issue ..

Well I know people who use the same fins and I've never seen them or heard that they are so buoyant that it makes them want to go feet up.

Perhaps you need to use some weight on the lower part of your tank - I'm assuming you use AL80s most if not all of the time.

I personally use a 4lb weight on a cam band when I use AL80s as I find them too floaty when I get below 80 bar.

None of us have had the opportunity to really try out many fins, We've all ended up with a fin that fits us well. For me, it is the Dive Rite XT with 3, 5, or 7 mm full suit, with or without a 5/3 mm hooded vest. Your mileage may vary, best of luck.
oddly this is very true, after 40+ years of regular diving ive basically stuck with the jetfin and the super rockets. I have a few other odds n ends but usually use them for dorkeling or free diving. Im going to try the xt's next.

Got it.

First, I just filled our wash tub and took videos of my Sea Novas floating to the top. Then my boots - which I thought would sink since they have 400 dives on them, but they floated rather quickly. When I added the two together they floated to the top rather quickly. Then I got out my ScubaPro Jets and they sunk like a rock. When I added my boots they still sunk pretty quickly.

So I think you're right - and I'm right. What is effecting my trim is really floaty feet, as my fins AND boots are adding a significant amount of buoyancy at my feet. Ankle weights might be the answer. I need to compensate not only for my fins but also for the boots. I don't want to be as negatively buoyant in my feet as I would be with the Jets, and not as positively buoyant as with my Novas. Call me Goldilocks.

For reference, this last trip I was diving in rash guards with my 5mil boots; a Zeagle Zena BC; AL80's; and carrying 4 pounds in weight pockets and use a crotch strap to keep everything in place. On static dives (no current) I was able to hover horizontally about 3 feet above the sandy bottom - not moving forward or backward - and rise and lower about 2 ft using just my breath (I tested to make sure I could do this well). Based on that, I think my weighting and trim is good. On static safety stops I could stay at 15 ft in the horizontal position without having to fin (same as on the bottom). The trouble comes when on a safety stop in current and in swim-thrus. I know I'm correctly weighted because when I finish my safety stop and am at the surface, even with <1000psi, I still sink when I release air and breathe out and can still descend.

It sounds like you are correctly weighted.

If you can hover horizontally, you should be able to swim horizontally. From what you have described, there's something wrong with your technique, not your equipment.

That's a lot harder to make a guess at, without seeing you in the water, but I'd recommend finding a good instructor who can work with you. Missouri to New Mexico is only like a 14 or 15 hour drive. :wink:

Don't try to find an equipment solution to a training problem.

Missouri to New Mexico is only like a 14 or 15 hour drive. :wink:
But I have a good friend in Albuquerque!

We're going to Cozumel next month. I'll see if an instructor can watch my finning to see what can be adjusted. Thanks.

Mares Power Plana fins have gone from being a rec fin to being a tec fin, and picked up a good deal of weight. One more heavy fin to consider.

Hi @Kimela
If you like your old Mares, then based on your original post, I think the Mares Avanti Quattro+ Is a good option. Good for flutter and a bit heavy.
I bought a pair because I seem to always be swimming in a current and needed something to handle that. My first fins were/are the Mares Volo full foot, so I am used to Mares.
Let us know what you decide and how they work for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom