New fin recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I currently dive with the ScubaPro SeaWing Novas. I wear 5mil boots that have 400 dives and are beginning to fall apart - point being, I don't think they have a lot of lift in them as the neoprene is probably pretty compressed. I like the propulsion I get with the Novas. Most of my diving has been in Cozumel, with current, and I suspect I'll continue to dive in some current (Keys, Cozumel), so I need a fin that will give me oomph for those type of dives.

My issue is that the Novas are a bit on the positively buoyant side and my feet get floaty. On safety stops I can't stay in a vertical position - even when I'm grossly overweighted, my feet want to go above my head. When I go through swim-thrus I can have my head and chest in the sand (not literally, but close) and my fin tips will brush the top of the swim-thru - so I alternate between trying to do a frog kick and a tiny-tiny flutter to keep my fins lower. I'd like something heavier but not like the ScubaPro Jets (which I have, and are extremely heavy).

So I'm looking for fins to wear with boots (I'm a tenderfoot), that are not positively buoyant, and that will give me propulsion in currents/surge. Oh, and it would be nice if they don't break the bank! (Yes, "I want it all ... and I want it now"!)

I switched from neg. buoyant fins to Novas a year or so ago. I ended up using ankle weights to trim myself out a bit. But that's dry suit diving in the PNW. Not sure you want to do that.

(I can also remove the ankle weights and put them on a student wherever it's needed to trim them out. Like you, I can deal with the Novas without ankle weights, but it's nicer not to have to compensate for them.)

Dive Rite XTs are slightly negatively buoyant, powerful, good with all kicks, smaller sizes are proportionally scaled down

1634151374836.png

If you are diving Coz and Keys, why not try a full foot fin. No booties, buoyancy or ankle weight issues and less to carry.
I use Mares Quattro Power for tropical diving and find they give me very good propulsion in current. I like them a lot.

If you are diving Coz and Keys, why not try a full foot fin. No booties, buoyancy or ankle weight issues and less to carry.
I use Mares Quattro Power for tropical diving and find they give me very good propulsion in current. I like them a lot.
You missed the part about me being a tender-foot! The bottoms of my feet are sensitive and I find it a bit painful to walk up the stairs on boats. I gave away a pair of Mares Volos that I really liked, because I'm such a sissy! :wink:

a lot of folks on the board rave about the Scubapro Go Sport fins, at 20" and 1.5 lbs a piece they are perfect for travel.

and the deep 6 eddys are equally raved about, they are about an inch longer than the scubapro. A little heavier with the spring straps vs bungee.

Oh, and it would be nice if they don't break the bank!
That is always nice! I have really liked the Edge Flex open heel fins from Divers Supply, which are comfortable and to me have enough power for drift diving in Cozumel (have used on 3 trips there). Compared to my Mares Avanti Quattro open heel fins (which could be an option) the Edge Flex fins are more comfortable, less expensive and not quite as heavy as the Quattros (which make my feet a bit heavy), but also a little less powerful because they are not as stiff. Contrasted with my Oceanic Accel travel fins, the Edge Flex fins have a little more power, cost less, are more comfortable, and are not as floaty as the Accels.

and the deep 6 eddys are equally raved about, they are about an inch longer than the scubapro. A little heavier with the spring straps vs bungee.

But not a heavy fin at all. I intended to get some D6G Eddy fins until DGX offered the previous generation DR XT fins at a jaw-dropping closeout price so I picked those up instead. Both are great fins. The DR XT fin is a tad heavier than the D6G Eddy fins.

As much as I love the Deep 6 Eddy fins, if you are looking for a negative fin, these are not for you. Hollis F1s might be overkill. Maybe RK3 HDs?

a lot of folks on the board rave about the Scubapro Go Sport fins, at 20" and 1.5 lbs a piece they are perfect for travel.

I'm liking the Eddie's a little more than the go sports.

YMMV

Back
Top Bottom