New fin advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soamelt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm finally making the switch from my old split fins I bought over 10 years ago for snorkeling. I think I have it narrowed down to a few, Hollis f2, Mares Power Plana, Mares Excel+ or Avanti/Quattro and am looking for advice to get me through the next 10 years.

I do a lot of beach and drift diving so need something that has power to get me through currents and to my dive sites / exit points which I flutter kick to. Once I'm at my dive site I primarily frog kick and high frog kick (?), or a slight flutter in tight spaces which I manage to do pretty well with my old Aeris splits.

I like to hunt and tend to kick a lot to cover as much ground as possible. I'm fit, have strong legs and was a swimmer, but have negative feet/legs. I've been on the water as long as I can remember, but was never able to float without my feet sinking. I was originally thinking Hollis F1, or Scuba Pro Jetstream, but are worried they will be too heavy for me (it's not uncommon for me to spend 2 hours on a single beach dive). It seems like the Plana's are close to them but a little lighter, but still may be on the heavy side. Any suggestions from what I listed or other?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Mares Avanti/Quattro lasted me for a very long time. I had the buckle straps as opposed to the bungee straps, but I wouldn't be opposed to getting the bungee straps. I always say, go with what you know. They aren't very heavy. As a matter of fact, I think they're pretty neutral.

I like to hunt and tend to kick a lot to cover as much ground as possible. I'm fit, have strong legs and was a swimmer, but have negative feet/legs.

For the power, I think Cressi ARA or Reaction are about the longest you can get without going full foot freedive/spearfishing fin. ARAs felt pretty light when I tried them on, from the description it sounds like Reactions isn't noticeably heavier.

I too like higher performance fins. My main fins now are Cressi Reaction with the bungee strap (which is very nice). I also have a pair of Tusa Solla full-foot fins that also perform well.

I think I like what I've been reading about the Ara's (the hard ones) and the Reactions. I'm also looking at the Dive Rite XT.

How are the Reaction's with frog kicks?

If you are making long beach dives with a lot of swimming, then you might want to consider a freedive fin. A long fin with a good blade and a closed heel (full foot pocket) is probably the most efficient type of fin you can buy. If you have very strong legs and are over about 200 lbs, we recommend a medium stiffness fiberglass blade, if you are smaller, you will do better with a soft blade. These fin pockets are typically very comfortable for most everyone.

We offer more (and less) expensive fins, but fiberglass is in the sweet spot with respect to performance and toughness, which may be important if you are working through the surf.

Competition Fiberglass Fins Black | MAKO Spearguns

MCFFGF-BLK-2T.jpg

These are the actual comments from a diver who recent tried his first pair of MAKO freedive fins:

I tried the Mako fins yesterday. What a blast! I was honestly surprised at the difference between them and my scuba split fins. I would gauge i am 3x faster now and can move with just a flick of a fin now. I cant see myself ever using split fins again.
user_offline.gif

I'm not sure if he is really 3 times faster, but these are his unsolicited comments..

Dive safe!

Dano

The Avanti Quattro's are a pretty solid choice (I've logged most of my dives on them). Snappy enough for frog kicks but also won't kill your legs when flutter kicking over distances. Not to mention they come in a variety of colors. Get the Quattro + with the bungee straps if you decide to get them.

I hear great things about the Dive Rite's as well. Those fins are going to be very stiff though compared to the Quattro's (but you may like that).

I wouldn't bother with rubber fins if you're doing single tank wetsuit dives. While I have no experience with them, my LDS owner (a tech instructor) says most will find them too heavy for that application. I'm sure that some may disagree though. Speaking of which, that guy uses a pair of Hollis F2s for his wetsuit dives and likes them.

Last edited:
Dano: you did peak my interest in free diving fins, but I don't think I could do full foot fins. I would hate them on my entry/exit on beach dives and I'm not sure about frog kicking in them either. I'm also trying to stay off of your site. I have had 8 tabs open in my browser for the last week to buy a $50 replacement spear for my Predator, but some how my shopping cart is over $250.

I started at with 3 fins and am up to about 9 now. Did I mention that I have now added the OMS slipstream to my list?

They should not be an issue with beach dives. If it is really rough, I doubt you will be swimming off the beach. A very large percentage of scuba spearfisherman use freedive fins. We also understand that they are popular with warm water dive guides.

I think you would be surprised at their efficiency.

Sounds like you may well reach the $99 FREE SHIPPING threshold..

If you are looking for an inexpensive full foot, freedive fin these are less than $90 and the blades are replaceable.

Competition Freediver Fins | MAKO Spearguns

MCFF-2.jpg

I just made this switch. I have some Atomic splits that I bought when I re-certed a while back. I have loved these fins. They've been great as I was getting back into the sport a few years ago.

As I've been diving more, and become much stronger, I've run into some of the limitations of splits. Some maneuvers are just harder in splits, it seems, than the vented Jet fins I had 'way back. Frog kicks are kinda noodly for instance.

So I started shopping for some paddles or new vents. I was looking at the fins mentioned in this thread, such as the Mares and then even some Sherwoods. But then I wandered into the LDS to get something small like some valve covers or somesuch. I was talking to the sales person about how I had started diving again, and ....

And they had these new Atomic blade fins. In the color I wanted. That will re-use my existing spring straps. On sale. Like $100 sale.

All that research, and it came down to chance, what I was familiar with, and a friendly local dive shop. I'll find out if I'm really in better shape next weekend when I hit the water with them next weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom