New Fast-Attack Nuclear Submarines to be Named Arizona and Oklahoma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, since the old days of fish names were brought up:

Granted, the marine life-theme was a mixed bag. Seawolf (which was reused for SSN-21 in a brief return to tradition), Growler, Batfish, Shark, Razorback, Requin, Wahoo, Seadragon, Devilfish, Kraken, etc. all had a certain amount of panache and menace to them ... then you had ones like Trout, Salmon, Plunger, Seahorse, Blenny, Chub, Carp, and Sea Robin that were more the seagoing equivalent of the "Fluffy the Terrible" trope.
Hey now, the USS Puffer was a bad ass boat, albeit with a somewhat lame moniker. :)

... then you had ones like Trout, Salmon, Plunger, Seahorse, Blenny, Chub, Carp, and Sea Robin that were more the seagoing equivalent of the "Fluffy the Terrible" trope.

I think the Empire of Japan left off the Fluffy when referring to them.

This discussion led to me finding a book to buy. When I was on the Puffer, SSN 652 there were patrol reports floating around from the SS 268 war patrols. I remembered the 38 hour depth charge attack and the boat being held deep for a long time so I Googled it. I found a book about the history of the boat written by the son of one her sailors that did every war patrol except the first one on her.

I think the Empire of Japan left off the Fluffy when referring to them.

Fluffy the Terrible - TV Tropes

Once they actually got the Mark 14 to run straight and go bang when it was supposed to, yes. As the video states, they turned the 1940s Japanese merchant marine (and more than a few IJN warships) into marine conservation projects.

How terrible would it have been to admit “the Plunger sank our battleship!!”??

@Akimbo, would you have an idea as an former ASW expert if a submarine with its anachroic tiles would be visible to sidescan or imaging sonars?

Also I think that naming ships after our states is a great tradition and Arizona, Utah, and Oklahoma would be honorable names if the class of ship lives up to its predecessors.

I wonder if the Royal Navy will ever use Dreadnought again?

@Akimbo, would you have an idea as an former ASW expert if a submarine with its anachroic tiles would be visible to sidescan or imaging sonars?

Also I think that naming ships after our states is a great tradition and Arizona, Utah, and Oklahoma would be honorable names if the class of ship lives up to its predecessors.

I wonder if the Royal Navy will ever use Dreadnought again?

Twice now:

HMS Dreadnought (S101) - Wikipedia

The follow-on class of subs (the first entirely British SSNs) were Valiant and Warspite, which are also the second and third units of the new Dreadnought-class SSBNs.

Dreadnought-class submarine - Wikipedia

Seems some here didn’t read the article.

My dolphins are fine with this one, done for all the right reasons.

It can also be viewed as the US Navy FINALLY recognizing that submarines are the new battleship. Everyone knows there are only two types of ships in the Navy... Submarines and targets. :stirpot:

Proved when we did war games and sank the entire rest of the fleet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom