New equipment and Internet purchase questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no need to be afraid of purchasing on the internet. The most important thing to research is whether a company is an authorized dealer.

Check out diversdirect.com...

They are an authorized dealer. They guarantee the lowest price. They have a great selection of dive gear, apparel and accessories. Plus they have several stores throughout the state florida.
(Underlining added)

Based on your user name, sig line, and profile it seems a bit odd to me that you'd refer to "yourself" in the third-person? Not once but four times.

Wouldn't it make more sense to say "we" instead of "they"?

Not necessarily faulting you for shilling here on SB, but might as well be 100% transparent about it.

I would think about the VEO 180 NX(not 100)......can get one from Divers Direct(on line) for under $200.....everything else I would pull the trigger on......Also don't worry about LP- my experience with them has been good...Plus, the actual chance of you needing to use a warranty is very low, but they will fix any problems you may have anyway........

An LDS may be able to get close--within 200 dollars maybe on beginners gear but try that with specialty gear or tech gear. They generally only carry a small range of gear and then try and force feed it to you when what you really need is quite different. Wall Mart, lol, Wall Mart and the LDS are the past, the future is the Internet, that is why we are here on this forum. N

Maybe we've just has different experienes w/ our LDS. Mine has beaten of matched (mostly beaten) all competitive pricing on most of my gear.

I prefer to support the local economy, but I'm also self-employed so different view points maybe.

As a LDS owner, here are a few things you should know about buying from your LDS.

We assemble and test all equipment with the customer. We walk through all equipment and show the customer how all the functions work. If there is a problem, they fix it on the spot. If it is major, it is replaced immediately. If it needs to be returned to the manufacturer, we provide a "loaner" free of charge until yours comes back.

The customers who support the store, and the more they buy, they get free rentals, free air, discounted nitrox, discounts on trips and classes, and occassionally, a free boat charter. The more you buy, the more likely you will get steeper discounts on future purchases.

We don't like to "wheel and deal". This isn't a used car lot. However, most LDS will meet or beat any internet discount that comes from a authorized dealer. Our philosophy is simple. We offer a good price and outstanding service. Any LDS who doesn't provide this service will not be in business.

As many posters have stated, there are a lot of reasons to pay the extra and support your LDS. I would agree, but only if you feel they are supporting you to dive. Ask these questions...are they inviting you to dive with them on shop dive night? Are they inviting you to activities or classes the shop offers? Are they wanting you to come on trips with them? If the answer is yes, then you will see the extra you spend come back to you. If not, you may as well go shop on line.

As many posters have stated, there are a lot of reasons to pay the extra and support your LDS. I would agree, but only if you feel they are supporting you to dive. Ask these questions...are they inviting you to dive with them on shop dive night? Are they inviting you to activities or classes the shop offers? Are they wanting you to come on trips with them? If the answer is yes, then you will see the extra you spend come back to you. If not, you may as well go shop on line.

This sounds great but where does it start? What if a new diver finds a shop that is only interested in making as much as quickly as they can from the newbie before they fade away. By the time they have bought all there gear at inflated prices it's too late. Then they will never have the opportunity to spend enough to get this kind of support somewhere else.

I don't have any dealings with LP only the grapevine. That vine is very jaded because I work in a dive shop so LP is the devil so I am told. Supporting the LDS is so very important, we have our own pool and rental equip to maintain. Those are some of the things you can take advantage of by buying our equipment over LP. Another Huge point find out if your LDS has a E-commerce site that supports a shop that is certifying divers and selling equipment. We have a e-comm. site and everything is at least 10% less there than in our store. Everything we sell is from us being an authorized dealer, how do you know if its authorized, all the prices will be the same across the board we all have a MAP min advertised price that the manufactures regulate. Support the LDS and tell them Your are stumbling over a 200 dollar difference see if the can make it up through a service or something.

Here are some things I wish someone had told me, or the cliff notes version anyway, about the dive biz. A lot of this is generalized, but I think you'll get the idea.

A lot of local dive shops operate with a business model where they offer a lot of things at cost or less, and make up for it with high margins on gear. Divers buying an entire set of gear are among the most profitable customers that a shop will see. They want your business. Good shops want to help you get stuff you like and can afford so you will keep diving, be happy, and become a lifetime customer. Other shops want to take as much money as possible out of your wallet before you figure out what the deal is. I don't know what kind of shop you have, but you can probably figure it out.

If your shop is more like this, you can probably work something out that everyone is happy with:
Gypsy Divers Aquatic Center; Raleigh's Finest Family Aquatic Center

If you shop is more like this, run away...as fast as you can:
Going Under Dive Center Scuba Minnesota

Most shops fall some place in the middle.

In the end, don't feel like you have to choose between price, service, and quality. You don't - you can find retailers who will provide it all. You decide where to spend your money. You don't owe anyone anything just because they happen to live nearby. A good local dive shop will earn your business.

Rich

For a difference of $150 and being new to the current equipment market I'd stay with LDS. Ask about a discount on education to off set your difference- in the long run it's only cheaper at time of purchase-

I live in an area where we don't have a full retail option, I buy on vacation and online- the more expiernce you have the better luck you will have online-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom