New England wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mlfrdball

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new to Scuba, and was wondering for ocean diving around New England in the summer months, what thickness wetsuit does anyone suggest? I'll also be diving in lakes around New England as well.
Thanks!

mlfrdball:
I'm new to Scuba, and was wondering for ocean diving around New England in the summer months, what thickness wetsuit does anyone suggest? I'll also be diving in lakes around New England as well.
Thanks!

To answer your question, 7mm wetsuit with added 7mm farmer on top of that.

If I were to do it again I would go straight for the drysuit. I paid $450 for my wetsuit and you can now buy a brand new O'Neill neoprene drysuit for $500, add $150 for thermals and you can dive it year round.

--Matt

Full 7 mm wetsuit with hooded vest underneath. For me it's good for waters where the surface temp is above 60F and the 40 ft depth temps get down to the low 50's. My wife uses the same combination. Gloves make a difference too. My wife prefers
split finger mittens while I prefer fiver finger gloves for all but the coldest temps.

You guys are wusses!
We dive a full 5mm and SOMETIMES use a skin underneath it.

Depends on what you mean by shallow and short. Average depth/time is 50 feet/50 minutes and it's all north Cape, particularly PTown.
We dove May to October wet.

And it was just friendly teasing about the wusses part :wink:

lisa_j:
You guys are wusses!
We dive a full 5mm and SOMETIMES use a skin underneath it.

5mm!? brrrrrrrrrrrr......

The only way I dive in winter is by flying to the carribbean!

Yeh-Major cold water wuss-and getting worse

Rap

Well I had a dive on the Target Ship where it was 68 degrees, but then again, it was late in the day and the tide had just turned after the sand bars had been baked all day, then heated up the incoming tide. But of course it gets damn cold when you get below the thermocline created by the vast stretches of baked sand on low tides in the daytime.

You would be better off with a 2 piece 7mm. The early summer the weather is getting warm, but the water lags by a couple months. In the fall, the air starts getting cold long before the water temps start dropping, so you will find warmer water and warm days to be a much shorter time then you would imagine. Before I went dry, my 2 piece was good from about May to late october, mid-november; with the days in november being one dive days, because it was just too cold during the surface interval.

Well you have a lot to consider. Begin with the fact that we are all different in make-up and yolerance to the cold. lisa_j made this very clear.

Next there is no free ride in the deeper lakes. My coldest New England summertime water has been in Lakes and quarries, down in the low 40sF. The neat thing about lakes is the abrupt thermocline. You may spend part of the dive in very cold water but as you work your way back you will re-enter warm water and have some chance to recover before surfacing. Ocean thermoclines in my opinion have not been as dramatic. On shore dives I will sometimes run into an off shore wall of cold where the open ocean meets shore warmed water.

Many begin to hit their "wet limit" around 50F or a little less. Here in Maine that got us almost to Thanksgiving. You can still dive but the surface interval and dress down will become challenging and you may not have enought body neat to safely make a second dive. Again it's all personal. The topside stresses often are more daunting than the water chill.

The most common configuration for a long time has been a 7mm farmer John (or Jane) set. This is basicly the bib overall and a long sleeve jacket that goes down to mid thigh. This provides 2 layers (14mm) on the torso, groin and upper legs. You end up with pretty good freedom of movement and good protection. With this a hood with a tucked in bib is usually worn. Some peoplke like the John/Jacket set because they can use the pieces seperately, IMO they work as a set and seldom fit correctly enough alone to be good for much.

Let's stop for just a second and talk about wet-suit 101.
*It needs to fit like a second skin
*The water volume trapped wants to be as little as possible
*The water wants to stay in the suit, not get exchanged for more cold water.
*It must allow good freedom of movement and must not restrict your breathing.
*Fit is everything.

I prefer to start with a 7mm full suit. This is a 7mm jumpsuit with full arms and legs and a back zipper. Here is an example:
http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/bareshop/diveproduct.asp?dept_id=23010&pf_id=61424

Lets assume that you will need head protection for any diving though you may have some freshwater dives above the thermocline where this is not the case. The biggest weakness of a full suit is the back zipper. Some water will weep in and you back can be very sensitive to this. Next problem like any suit is the neck opening. Protect your head, mute the back zipper leak and vitrually remove the neck opening from the equation with a hooded vest like this: http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/bareshop/diveproduct.asp?dept_id=28520&pf_id=61437
One nice thing about a vest and full suit is that you get 2 good layers on the shoulders which are your cutting edge. Some Johns have fdairly narrow shoulder straps.

I was very comfortable with those 2 items all summer. In the fall as temperatures rolled off I switched to a heavier vest:
http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/bareshop/diveproduct.asp?dept_id=23010&pf_id=61426

My last pair of wet dives were in the upper 40's and I was fine. I did buy a drysuit after that but I could have kept diving wet for a while still.

I do have 3mm & 5mm suits as well and mix and match them with the vests mentioned above. I do both skin and scuba dives so my conditions and needs vary a lot.
http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/bareshop/diveproduct.asp?dept_id=25010&pf_id=61435

So there you go, this is what works for me. I have had surface swims on lakes in the low 80s and gone down into the low 40's 60 feet below!

Have fun,
Pete

spectrum The topside stresses often are more daunting than the water chill. [/QUOTE:
That is the point missing here.... Diving a 7mill on dive 1 almost anywhere is fine. it is the surface interval and re-entry on dive two, when you core temp has not come up yet, and is just beat down even lower on dive two. Entry into the air on a cool day after dive two can be down right bone numbing..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom