New England Introduction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello, again. I was certified on 17 October 1999. My Farmer John was good up until 8 December, the water was to cold for me after that. I bought a DUI TLS 350 Drysuit, and continued diving throughout the winter. It was actually the start of my "Solo Diving." career. (nobody wanted to go diving.) I found myself trudging through snow on the beaches, and rocks to get in the water. Newly certified, and full of piss, and vinegar, I wasn't letting the weather stop me. I eventually, became a Commercial Sea Urchin Diver doing dives in 30 degree water for 96 minutes, and did that for four years. (The season starts in November.) I am originally from Boston, and have dove nearly every site in the area. I have approx. 86 dives on the Poling. (My favorite.) I highly recommend Folly Cove.
I suggest using your wetsuit for the summer, and give some thought to a drysuit. I didn't have any formal training with a drysuit....
I just put it on and went.
I strongly suggest "Not." doing that. You would be better off taking a drysuit course in September, before the water gets too cold, and you can get familiar with it, before the winter comes.
Cheers.

There's a class for that? lol I also learned to use my drysuit through reading and the internet... I too will get around to the certification, maybe I will step up and get the ice cert to go with the dive I have done...

Welcome! I was formerly a cold water diver myself in the Great Lakes and quarries of the Midwest. I'm partial to Bare wetsuits. However, as others have indicated, you will probably want to move to a drysuit in the future if you plan on doing much local diving. Nothing sucks more than diving cold water on a cold, blustery, cloudy day "up north". A drysuit makes it very manageable.

There's a class for that? lol I also learned to use my drysuit through reading and the internet... I too will get around to the certification, maybe I will step up and get the ice cert to go with the dive I have done...

Yup there is. A good drysuit course is not very expensive and can be worth every penny. It can definitely speed up the learning process and help you avoid painful and potentially dangerous lessons the hard way.

Another method is to learned from experienced, patient buddies.

I would NOT recommend trying to learn it all on your own without at least a mentor or two if not a class.

Yeah me too only I used the owner manual there was no internet when I bought my 1st dry suit in 1972 come to think of it there were no dry suit classes either ! :)

Hey @BostonBreakwater do you live in George or Mass.?

Yup there is. A good drysuit course is not very expensive and can be worth every penny. It can definitely speed up the learning process and help you avoid painful and potentially dangerous lessons the hard way.

Another method is to learned from experienced, patient buddies.

I would NOT recommend trying to learn it all on your own without at least a mentor or two if not a class.
Jim, my instructor sold me the dry suit, and he took me in the water for the first time in the suit. I'm glad I've had some training in the use of a dry suit, as you're correct. It can be very dangerous. I do intend to take the course to have the certification to go with my drysuit experience. Certainly not something to do without proper guidance or training

Welcome to the Forums.

I enjoyed using my Henderson Thermoprene 8/7mm Semi-dry jumpsuit, but at $428 new I would just skip the wetsuit and get yourself a drysuit if you plan to dive cold. You can find semi-dry cheaper used if you watch this forum or eBay. My wife and I both bought drysuits for this season after swearing we would never dive dry last year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom