New England Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

balevine2

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there,

I just finished my open water cert and I'm hunting for some used gear so I can get in the water ASAP. Just wondering if there's any other folks from New England on this forum. If so, where do you like to dive around here?

For CT the best options are Jamestown, RI (FT Wetherill) or Newport. If you don't mind shallow, Stonington Point is okay for a novice. Orbit Marine runs charters in the Bridgeport area. Generally, the Long Island Sound is low visibility and most people try to head up into RI. Another option would be Cape Ann in Massachusetts. Much better conditions than Rhode Island and more protected, but much colder.

For CT the best options are Jamestown, RI (FT Wetherill) or Newport. If you don't mind shallow, Stonington Point is okay for a novice. Orbit Marine runs charters in the Bridgeport area. Generally, the Long Island Sound is low visibility and most people try to head up into RI. Another option would be Cape Ann in Massachusetts. Much better conditions than Rhode Island and more protected, but much colder.
Awesome. I’m from Bethany, CT myself, now living in Meriden, and I’m interested in making the most I can out of whatever’s local. Thanks for the guidance.

I go each summer to Pleasure Beach, near Niantic. Shallow - 12'. OK dive. You use the boat ramp, not the actual beach, which of course is restricted to residents (what's new?). Dive flag advisable. I go during weekdays, wouldn't chance the weekend for boat traffic and parking. News flash-- no charge to park at the boat ramp! Nice outhouse you can change in.

I go each summer to Pleasure Beach, near Niantic. Shallow - 12'. OK dive. You use the boat ramp, not the actual beach, which of course is restricted to residents (what's new?). Dive flag advisable. I go during weekdays, wouldn't chance the weekend for boat traffic and parking. News flash-- no charge to park at the boat ramp! Nice outhouse you can change in.
Awesome, I like Niantic a lot so I’ll definitely check this out.

Back
Top Bottom