New "E" series PST tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the new tanks are ALL 3/4" (standard) threads.

The 7/8" thread is apparently history.

My order, when I get some kind of indication that is worth something as to availability, will specify that my acceptance of the tanks is contingent on them actually having standard threads.

The threads will be 3/4-14 (same as th LP tanks).

Thanks for the update Genesis!

I wonder how backordered PST is though, as well as pricing info. I have my eye on maybe a pair of HP '149's' ( used as 'singles')

Genesis once bubbled...
then you can't dive them wet, because you'd be seriously overweighted.

I could, on the other hand, dive a pair of HP100s wet, and need close to zero weight, but still be able to weight out, particularly with an aluminum plate.

With LP104s there's no way I could get away with that in a wetsuit.

No question. I would not even consider using them in a 3 mil, which is what I wear in the Carribean.

The only thing that I don't like about HP doubles is the swing weight. I haven't tried it with 100's, but 120's are a real pain when they get low. You need to start heavy in order to end up neutral.

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...

No question. I would not even consider using them in a 3 mil, which is what I wear in the Carribean.

The only thing that I don't like about HP doubles is the swing weight. I haven't tried it with 100's, but 120's are a real pain when they get low. You need to start heavy in order to end up neutral.

Same with any tank. All tanks swing by the weight of the air. The more air they hold the more the weight change from full to empty. It doesn't have anything to do with the tank material.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

Same with any tank. All tanks swing by the weight of the air. The more air they hold the more the weight change from full to empty. It doesn't have anything to do with the tank material.

Agreed. However, for whatever reason, I experience far less of an issue with my 104's than with my 120's.

Besides, using 104's means that I don't need weight. I wear some weight when using the double 120's, mostly to offset the swing at the end.

I just got off the phone with Pressed Steel. They are saying these tanks will be availabe mid-feb. What are the downsides of these tanks? Am I correct when I say that they will be lighter than the LP 104's? Its my understanding that they will fill out at 104 at 2640 but will be rated and stamped at 3400 so that you can 'legally' fill them to 3400 psi and yield 133ft^3 of gas. Am I way off?

Well, what did PST say??

I just got off the phone with Pressed Steel...Its my understanding that they will fill out at 104 at 2640 but will be rated and stamped at 3400 so that you can 'legally' fill them to
3400 psi and yield 133ft^3 of gas. Am I way off?

I should hang up the phone here because Ferrra and others have made serious efforts to address these questions and reported to SB with their info; but, I'm a softy....Once again, PST attempted to do what you are suggesting, and failed. Their low pressure CM steel technology cannot be scaled up by simply punching some more numbers on the neck of existing designs. Hydro tests do not lie. The company has taken another path in fashioning a tank which shares some of the qualities of LP and HP. Namely, produce a 'LP' tank which can be jacked to higher pressures. Their engineers apparently found that they would have to continue to rely on their high tech 9791 alloy to produce a tank rated to these pressures to avoid making the new tank 8-10 pounds negative, a step backward. One priority, I'm guessing, is to get rid of the multiple standards and sizes and rationalize production. One obvious area is the odd ball 7/8" neck which makes inspection difficult and is irrelevant to the strength of a steel tank and brass valve (at 3500 psi). Also, they now realize that the tort issue of blow out of a standard yoke valve is greatly exaggerated. That is, if someone happens to attach a yoke valve and pump the tank to HP, what is the legal liability if someone claims O ring blowout? Therefore, to comply with existing industry standards, which, BTW, appear to be overconservative, the new tank will probably have a standard 3/4 neck and be rated at 3440 psi, just below the magic number of 3500.
Pesky

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom