New Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrMojo

Reaction score
Hi all,
I just purchased a drysuit of ebay in the Uk it's a Oceanic flex front entry with infator and shoulder dump, i paid £140 ($210) for it and it is brand new. From the measurements they gave on ebay it seemed pretty close to mine.It arrived to day and i tried it on and it fitted petty good apart from needing the next boot size up and alittle length taken out of the legs,but to my horror as i was taking it off i noticed in the label inside it says it size and says "ladies" now as a serious question is there any difference from male to female as i thought they were all unisex?
Ok apart from the obvious no pee valve it seems to be the same as any other drysuit i tried or seen .Also the neck seal was quite tight so im not sure if this is due to being new or needs correcting or if it's because it's a womans neck seal!!
How much can be altered on a suit and how easy is it to take labels out !!

Regards ,

MAL..

If I remember correctly, it has neoprene seals. Neoprene has a "memory", so you can stretch it over something (a scuba tank?) to make it bigger.

Speaking only for the suits I looked at over the last 5 or 6 weeks, the majur differences between womens and mens suits was:

* Color Options

* Boot (if attached) or sock sizes...on a Womens large, the boot equated to roughly a mens medium.

* Shoulder width - mens are wider

* Hips - womens are wider

I have tiny feet (8.5) and a short inseam (30") and seriously considered a womens large suit. They fit me in all regards, with the exception of the shoulders. My shoulders are wide, and the tight fit limited range of motion.

The Men's large suits fit me fine, except the legs are all too long, and the feet way too big.

I tried al sizes by most of the biggies, and ended up getting a custom cut that should be in soon (as I wait by the box every day...) Nothing really fit. My wife took a stock off the shelf women's large (shes a bit taller than I am.) Its a little big on her (she's pretty narrow) but it fits her great everywhere else. Except for the shoulders, it would have been perfect for me, too.

If its a latex neck seal, just carefully trim it down and you'll be fine. I found no difference in the latex neck seals used from mens to womens.

The only real (simple, standard) alterations you can make to a drysuit after its completed is shortening the arms and legs. I know DUI will only shorten them about 2" max - as any more and the taper will make the opening too wide to accomodate the wrist seal and the boot / sock top.

Sounds like you got a good deal - of you can make it work.

Ken

just get creative with a marker pen if you must! My suit isn't the most shapely thing by a long shot. I think it might fit my sweetheart - except for the neck and wrist seals. Maybe it was mislabelled, and that's why it was for sale.

Thanks for the advice,
It has latex seals i shall take it to my LDS to see what he can do with it and get it near my size.
BOB3 You should see what i wear under it.......... and i found myself asking my missus "if my bum looks big in this" :D

Regards,

MAL..

Back
Top Bottom