New Drysuit Ordered and Factory Installed Dry Gloves. Please Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadude223

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I purchased a Bare Trilam Tech Dry Drysuit this evening. They did not have the size in stock so they are going to bring it in for me. This should take about a week. One of the options that the shop mentioned to me is that I have the option to have Bare install factory installed Dry Glove Locking Rings. The Suit just has the normal latex seals and not the Dry Glove System. They said that this is a $150.00 Dollar option from Bare. I told her that I would just go with the "Si Tech Quick Clamp Dry Glove System"

Should I call them in the morning and tell them I made a mistake and should have purchased the factory option from Bare. I have concerns that the SI Tech Clamp System may damage the Drysuit or make it leak if I put it in the water and try to use it.

I will be diving in very cold water and my hands get cold fast.

Is the SI Tech Clamp System a good alternative or should I have the Bare Factory Installation.

Also, I was told that If I go the way of the Bare System that there are user replicable seals. This being said are the Seals on the Bare Drysuit durable, or is this something that will have to be replaced every few months or dives.

Sorry for the long winded question, hopefully someone can give me a hand with this.

Thanks so much

There are several dry glove systems out there. Some permanently mount to the suit, and others are mounted on the seal. The SiTech Quick Glove system can be installed either way.

The advantage of seal-mounted dry gloves is that, should you dive the suit where you don't want to use dry gloves, you don't have to deal with the ring. The disadvantage is that there is some wear and tear on the seals. I have used seal-mounted dry gloves for ten years, and I think they work fine, and give you more options.

Thanks for the help. I will not worry about it.

That is a good point regarding different locations for diving.

Thanks again

There isn't anything made by SI Tech that

I bought that suit in July (and got it in October..) and I ordered it from the factory with SI Tech quick cuffs and dry gloves. I also ordered the neck tite system, mostly because every single dry suit diver I know has a story about suiting up for a dive and tearing a seal, which gives them the option of bailing on the dive or using the wet suit they have in their equipment bag for a drysuit dive. Brrr.

I'm perfectly happy with it, though the neck tite does limit arm/shoulder movement a bit in unusual directions. The dry gloves are great, though getting them set up and on the first few times is a bear. The other guy who bought dry gloves on his bare suit at the same time tried silicone grease on the gloves and it made getting them on and off really easy. Too easy. As soon as he put some air in the suit the gloves popped right off in the water, so don't do that. Stick to the provided wax.

I think the "Si Tech Quick Clamp Dry Glove System" is the same thing, but you need someone to install the rigid rings on you new dry suit. See here: http://www.sitech.se/media/53797/gluing-guide-qcs-oval-and-quick-cuff.pdf It's kind of complex and requires permanent modifications to the suit that starts with carefully cutting the seals off your brand new drysuit and gets more complex from there. I'd rather have the factory do this for me.

IIRC, there are a few options that you need to order from the factory, because they build the suit a little bit differently to accomidate them. I think the neck tite is one of these.

This is the list of factory options for Bare drysuits: http://www.baresports.com/~/media/Bare/Files/DATA SHEETS/DRYSUIT_OPTIONS_GUIDE_WEB.ashx

Back
Top Bottom