New diving related (log book) iPhone App

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll give it a go!

Dive log has some neat features such as syncing however lacks very much user customization and has no support for any sort of technical diving.

I am going to try and distribute beta testers a build this week. I could use maybe 1 or 2 more testers, so if you are interested let me know.

What does beta testing involve?

If I already have a version of your app running, will it over-write that earlier version? If so, and if I choose to stay with the earlier version after test-driving the newer version, will I be able to restore the earlier version with the data I have entered into it up to that point, or are those entries lost?

Sorry about my confusion - I am new to apps.

Yes, it will overwrite the current version, however it will not overwrite your data (well, shouldn't - thats one of the things I am testing). It will simply upgrade your database to include all of the new fields. I always recommend everyone uses iTunes to backup their database before upgrading to the newest version. This way if something goes wrong you can do a restore and be back to where you were before the upgrade. Especially when the app is in beta form! I spent most of yesterday working on the code that upgrades the database. So far in my tests it has been working great.

I will throw a wrench into things... I like the sound of your app, the field descriptions, etc.

I would like to see it made for Android platforms.

Thank you. *Hides in the corner :angrymob:

I will throw a wrench into things... I like the sound of your app, the field descriptions, etc.

I would like to see it made for Android platforms.

Thank you. *Hides in the corner :angrymob:
Probably not going to happen, at least anytime soon. Few reasons:

1) I hate Java. Thats just me personally.

2) The android market is a mess. It is a nightmare for developers and paid apps sell very very poorly on there, meaning it would probably not even be downloaded much.

3) Splitting my development time into two different platforms would severely cut back on the time I could work on the iPhone version. Right now I have bee able to fix bugs and add features as users request them quickly. That would not be the case if I was dealing with multiple deployments of the app.

Not saying it will not happen some day, just no time soon. I am far more likely to make an OS X desktop version that will sync with the iPhone app before an Android version.

Anyone have any interest in testing 2.0? I am looking for people who have 1.0 installed and some data entered already.

Submitted 2.0 to Apple for review today. Hopefully it will make it up in the app store in a week or so. The code base has literally doubled for this version, lots of new features.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom