New diving related (log book) iPhone App

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no desktop version - yet. If there is enough interest it is something I would consider. That is why I ask for feedback, I am not trying to get something for free, I am simply trying to turn this into a product that you would want. I figured people would be happy to have a developer who listens to the users!

I figured people would be happy to have a developer who listens to the users!

People are happy if they get to test drive a car before they buy it.

Are you really comparing a $3 app to a car? Reason I am charging anything at all is hopes to be able to afford an iPad one day so I can use it to test a universal version.

I requested some promo codes from apple that I will gladly give to people who want to try it and offer honest opinions. I only get a few but I figure it's better than nothing!

That is why I ask for feedback, I am not trying to get something for free, I am simply trying to turn this into a product that you would want. I figured people would be happy to have a developer who listens to the users!

Yes sure I understand and don't think you mean to do this. But with development and testing, people charge a lot of money for those and tend not to want to do things for free and especially not if they have to pay for the priviledge.

It's hard, as a small developer, to make money off certain iPhone apps as there are so many options, some with long histories behind them with desktop versions. There are many dive logging applications for example. So usually you have to do something like offer products for free or very cheap in the beginning to build up a userbase.

Your best bet, if you like making apps, is to get a company to pay you to make them iPhone apps. My partner does a lot of work like that :)

I sent out some codes to people who asked. They only work in the US app store so if you did not get one it's probably because I saw you were not in the states. Enjoy!

Comparing it to a car is a metaphor, obviously. The app I currently use offers a lite version which allowed me to check it out a bit. It also had over 1000 reviews already. You want to sell apps...yeah, ya gotta let us test drive the car. Otherwise we'll keep driving the perhaps less equipped but reliable version we already have.

I have one more promo code if anyone is interested in a "test drive". Test drive is kind of a bad choice of words, the promo code gets you the full app, for free, for life (all updates included).

No reviews yet?! Can someone post their views on the app?

Comments from a new diver who dives varied conditions. This is the first dive app that I have tried out.

These are my initial comments based upon a few minutes playing with the Dive Book Pro app.

My pros and cons are based on my imperfect knowledge of the product - YMMV.

Summary: I like this app and would buy it, even at twice the price (or more, up to $10) so long as my concerns about adding weight placement and varied equipment configurations are addressed. For me, personally, the app is of limited value until these concerns are addressed. My needs may not be representative of most divers.

Details:

Pros:
  • many common fields are set up by default: fields exist for tank size, tank and equipment configuration, weight, lift, start/stop pressure, max depth, penetration, and many, many more;
  • additional fields can be defined by the user;
  • stats are logged automatically on all fields, both those that were set up and those which are entered by the user
  • dive site information fields are detailed

Cons:
  • a single entry for "weight" does not describe my weight placement to achieve trim
    (e.g., 8 lbs on top cam strap, 8 lbs on bottom cam strap, and 6 lbs on belt). Since I dive many different conditions it is a pain to try to remember how I placed the weights in each configuration to achieve good trim;
  • the user-defined "equipment" field allows you to enter an item of gear once, then check it off on subsequent dives if you used it. For those who dive many different setups the one single run-on list of "equipment" is too long and poorly organized. I'd like to be able to make categories (such as thermal protection) under which (at a deeper level) I can check off:
    • drysuit
    • 3mm top;
    • 3mm bottom;
    • 7mm top;
    • 7mm bottom;
    • hood;
    • gloves (wet);
    • gloves (dry), etc..
    Similarly I'd like to define an "undergarments" field in which I specify which drysuit liner I used...

I might suggest that (for me) it would be useful to make "equipment" into a separate page, similar to the "add dive" page, with many separate fields (see examples above).

What would people think about having some user defined "gear setups" that you could use as a starting place. Once click would select all the gear in that defined "setup" and then you could customize it from there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom