New divers on Oahu looking for buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That happens sometimes with divers who don't have a team mentality, especially when diving with divers who are new to the area. Classic "Same Ocean, Same Day" diving. It's pretty disillusioning to newer divers and while I'm glad you have survived the experience (and learned from it to boot), I understand the frustration it caused.

I still see a few mistakes made on your own, and this is not to be mean. You mentioned that you had not dived Hanauma Bay before in the daytime. I'm not a fan of night diving a site I don't know well if there is not a strong, knowledgeable buddy with me. A good way is to do one dive in the afternoon to scope it out, then do a dive later that night that follows a similar plan to the previous dive, or better yet incorporates knowledge gained from the afternoon dive to hopefully lead to a more enjoyable night dive.

Also, if I'm diving an unfamiliar spot I try to pick a distinct feature (the cables for example) and always stay to one side of it. And return to it frequently, making a kind of search pattern. It may take a few dives to become completely safe in an area, but you would have learned a lot about that area and can begin branching out, creating a map in your head that uses known points to navigate through your subsequent dives.

That being said, I'm not the person to pick apart your dive and say "This is where you messed up.", but instead offer small bits of knowledge that I have been given to help others along. I hope your future dives are much less traumatic, and consequently funner.

Peace,
Greg

I diff would like to do it again in the day time. It was mostly a dissapointment because I thought my "club" would you know put more experienced people in groups or at least make sure everyone was safe. We were not the only ones this happened too. There were a few other dudes that got smashed too. So I would love to go in the day time

aladytaylor, glad you came out with only a few scratches, that could have gotten ugly, i'd look for another dive club if i was you, there are many on the island. Good luck and happy diving

ps good advice as far as diving the location in the day (i'd do more that one, several is always better) before diving at night, some places you may dive here at night you might not be able to get back out if you miss your exit point,, plan plan plan (a night speciality from a reputable instructor wouldn't be a bad idea either)

Thanks Scotty,
My husband and I are still going to be looking around for new buddies. It seems like once we find some cool people we will have a great time. We went this weekend with "the Dive Oahu Club" and met a few folks, they were great.

We are diving Hanauma Bay on Friday (daytime) let me know if anyone would like to join us. Hopefully someone that knows thier way around down there?

We just bought our own gear and cant wait tO try it out, say Saturday anything going on?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom